Search for man missing in park to focus on river
A search for a Somerset man missing from Ohiopyle State Park will resume on Monday with efforts focusing on the Youghiogheny River between Ohiopyle and Connellsville, a park official said on Sunday.
Search and rescue teams looking for Jeremy Walker, 29, who was reported missing on Jan. 2, conducted a ground and water search on Sunday. The teams have searched about 50 percent of the area within seventh-tenths of a mile of where his car was found in Ohiopyle, said Stacie Hall, assistant manager of the 20,500-acre state park in Fayette County.
Volunteers, dog teams, water and swift-water rescue squads returned at daylight on Sunday to continue the search until dark, Hall said.
“We have about the same number of searchers — 69 — as we did on Saturday,” Hall said.
They regrouped on Sunday night and made plans for search efforts on Monday.
“We never call off a search,” Hall said.
Park officials have said that Walker is known to have previously visited the park.
Search teams are reviewing his travel plans and taking into consideration his age, physical condition and activity history to best determine likely areas of the park where he might be found, Hall has said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Fayette County chop shop operation nets jail time, payment of restitution
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Veterans court program to begin in Fayette
- Woman killed in Fayette County van-motorcycle collision
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Living History: Uniontown man aboard USS San Diego duing Japan’s WWII surrender
- Purple Heart recipient from Connellsville Township soldiers on
- Connellsville Health Board revisits proposed blight ordinance
- Lynn: DL&V fire department selling tickets for Sportsmen’s Bash
- Defense: Friendship led to death penalty pursuit in Fayette case