Perryopolis making plans to dig up time capsule
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is making plans to dig up a time capsule buried in 1964.
Tentative date for the time capsule to be dug up is June 18.
It will kick off the annual firemen's fair.
The time capsule was buried for the town' sesquicentennial. A new one will be buried for the bicentennial which will be celebrated in July 2014.
“That way it will be close to a year ahead of time and it will bring some people around,” said Kathleen Pirilla Kifer, chairman of the bicentennial planning committee.
The committee is currently preparing a sponsorship letter which will be sent out to businesses and organizations.
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is a sub-group of the Perryopolis Area Heritage Society and all donations in the form of a check must be made out to the Heritage Society.
“It can read that we are under the auspice of the Heritage Society and they can put bicentennial committee on the memo line,” Kifer said.
The committee also decided to create a new website that will focus solely on plans for the bicentennial.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Masontown councilman charged with harassment
- ‘Trunk or Treat’ events designed to keep everyone safe
- Perryopolis going greener
- Connellsville preps for nighttime treating
- Police look for suspect in attempted child-luring incident in North Union
- Springfield Halloween parades set for Saturday
- Harlem Wizards will take to the court against Connellsville All Stars
- Somerset Trust Train Station Complex in Connellsville to hold grand opening
- Bedford woman’s works on display at Fayette law library
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville
- Frazier’s $22M school construction project moving on schedule