Perryopolis making plans to dig up time capsule
By Marilyn Forbes
Published: Friday, Jan. 25, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is making plans to dig up a time capsule buried in 1964.
Tentative date for the time capsule to be dug up is June 18.
It will kick off the annual firemen's fair.
The time capsule was buried for the town' sesquicentennial. A new one will be buried for the bicentennial which will be celebrated in July 2014.
“That way it will be close to a year ahead of time and it will bring some people around,” said Kathleen Pirilla Kifer, chairman of the bicentennial planning committee.
The committee is currently preparing a sponsorship letter which will be sent out to businesses and organizations.
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is a sub-group of the Perryopolis Area Heritage Society and all donations in the form of a check must be made out to the Heritage Society.
“It can read that we are under the auspice of the Heritage Society and they can put bicentennial committee on the memo line,” Kifer said.
The committee also decided to create a new website that will focus solely on plans for the bicentennial.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville’s new curfew —with stiffer penalties — to begin on April 26
- $1.3M equipment, which lowers voltage, leaves Connellsville for Charleroi
- Connellsville area benefits from tourism grant program
- Connellsville police hitting the streets on foot and bikes
- Everson council to meet on Monday
- Connellsville not yet worried about possible CDBG cuts
- Fayette County candy stores say public sweet on jelly beans as well as chocolate
- Fayette County residents driving force behind PAlitFest
- Brush fire season keeps Fayette firefighters busy
- Celebrate National Library Month with sweet contest in Connellsville
- Dunbar discusses renovation of town