Perryopolis making plans to dig up time capsule
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is making plans to dig up a time capsule buried in 1964.
Tentative date for the time capsule to be dug up is June 18.
It will kick off the annual firemen's fair.
The time capsule was buried for the town' sesquicentennial. A new one will be buried for the bicentennial which will be celebrated in July 2014.
“That way it will be close to a year ahead of time and it will bring some people around,” said Kathleen Pirilla Kifer, chairman of the bicentennial planning committee.
The committee is currently preparing a sponsorship letter which will be sent out to businesses and organizations.
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is a sub-group of the Perryopolis Area Heritage Society and all donations in the form of a check must be made out to the Heritage Society.
“It can read that we are under the auspice of the Heritage Society and they can put bicentennial committee on the memo line,” Kifer said.
The committee also decided to create a new website that will focus solely on plans for the bicentennial.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A Christmas story: Childhood holiday in Dunbar recollected
- Uniontown self-help book author finds ‘Inner Peace’ through writing
- Trinity United Presbyterian offers Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Connellsville teen charged in attack on 80-year-old man, daughter allowed to play high school basketball
- Fallen Perryopolis police officer chased his dream
- Stanley Cup coming to Ice Mine in Dunbar Township
- Uniontown man charged with raping 2 girls
- Connellsville High announces leads for March musical
- Fayette man faces prison for mail fraud
- Connellsville Area High School Patriots participate in Wreaths Across America
- Perryopolis police officer dies in Route 51 crash