Perryopolis making plans to dig up time capsule
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is making plans to dig up a time capsule buried in 1964.
Tentative date for the time capsule to be dug up is June 18.
It will kick off the annual firemen's fair.
The time capsule was buried for the town' sesquicentennial. A new one will be buried for the bicentennial which will be celebrated in July 2014.
“That way it will be close to a year ahead of time and it will bring some people around,” said Kathleen Pirilla Kifer, chairman of the bicentennial planning committee.
The committee is currently preparing a sponsorship letter which will be sent out to businesses and organizations.
The Perryopolis Area Bicentennial Committee is a sub-group of the Perryopolis Area Heritage Society and all donations in the form of a check must be made out to the Heritage Society.
“It can read that we are under the auspice of the Heritage Society and they can put bicentennial committee on the memo line,” Kifer said.
The committee also decided to create a new website that will focus solely on plans for the bicentennial.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Good trail news for Connellsville
- Connellsville details its Memorial Day parade lineup
- Top 10 talent showcase set at Connellsville Area High School
- Shake-a-thon to help 5-year-old from Connellsville
- Man convicted in Redstone robbery plans to appeal sentence
- Fayette County area communities plan Memorial Day events
- PennDOT project in North Union delayed a week
- Golden Reunion to bring old friends together Monday in Connellsville
- Connellsville Garden Club’s 11th annual Geranium Festival to bloom Saturday
- Perryopolis, Perry Township veterans groups plan Memorial Day service at Frazier High School
- Fayette County communities plan Memorial Day services