Man accused of raping boy he was caring for
By Mary Pickels
Published: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
A Uniontown man was arrested Friday on charges he allegedly raped a 12-year-old boy he was baby-sitting in November.
City police filed numerous counts of rape, sexual assault, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, distribution of obscene materials and corruption of minors against Joseph S. Drohn, 35, of 9 Shellie St.
Drohn was arraigned Friday before District Judge Michael Metros and is in the Fayette County Prison in lieu of $100,000 bond.
Detective Donald Gmitter wrote in an affidavit that the boy and his mother came to the police station on Jan. 2.
The woman said that the boy had recently disclosed that Drohn was sexually abusing him. She said Drohn baby-sat the boy and his sister while she worked.
The boy told police that after his sister went to bed, Drohn “would drag him downstairs, make him watch pornographic movies with him, and then force the boy to touch him.”
The boy said the assaults recently had escalated to include rape. The child said Drohn would look at pornography and download pornographic movies on the Internet via the boy's Xbox.
The woman said she had recently noticed several pornographic movies had been charged to her cable account, corresponding with dates that Drohn was baby-sitting her children.
Gmitter said the boy underwent a forensic interview at A Child's Place at UPMC Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, where he repeated his statement.
“(The boy) said he was threatened not to tell anyone about the sexual acts or he would get hurt,” Gmitter wrote.
Drohn faces a preliminary hearing Tuesday before Metros.
Mary Pickels is a reporter for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 killed, 2 hurt in Bullskin crash
- C&O Canal Towpath Trail ‘judged’ as great recreation
- Hearing continued for party stabbing suspect
- Fayette County man dies in 4-vehicle crash
- Connellsville police plan annual poker ride
- Connellsville Lions’ ‘Bike With Bud’s’ planned for Saturday
- Dawson residents learn ins, outs of dog enforcement
- Commissioners OK using county funds to start work for new jail
- Dunbar library wants children to ‘dig’ reading for summer fun June to August
- Connellsville up for fix-up money
- Everson council working on new garbage contract
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.