Fayette County Airport Authority chair resigns
The chairman of the Fayette County Airport Authority has resigned, according to a county commissioner.
In a letter delivered late Friday, Terry “Tuffy” Shallenberger Jr. indicated his resignation is immediate, county Commissioner Al Ambrosini said.
“It just said, effective immediately, please accept my resignation from the airport authority board,” Ambrosini said. “The second sentence said, I appreciate the time I spent on this important board.”
Ambrosini, who is chairman of the board of commissioners, said the letter was addressed to him. He will notify his fellow commissioners, Vincent Zapotosky and Angela Zimmerlink, this week, he said.
Zapotosky and Zimmerlink said they have not yet seen the letter. Shallenberger was unavailable for comment.
Ambrosini said he has been unable to reach Shallenberger since receiving the letter of resignation.
“I certainly appreciate his public service on the airport authority,” said Ambrosini, who is a former member of the airport authority. “He's had some nice accomplishments. I fully expect Tuffy to remain an advocate of the airport.”
Shallenberger's resignation occurred just two days after the airport board voted 4-1 to lay off airport Manager Mary Lou Fast. Board member Jesse Wallace voted against the layoff.
Zimmerlink on Sunday said she is still seeking to set up a meeting between the airport authority and county commissioners. Noting Wallace said he would not “be a part of this” when voting against the layoff, Zimmerlink said she has a number of concerns she wants addressed.
Shallenberger was most recently reappointed to the airport authority in 2011. His term was to run through January 2016. Ambrosini said commissioners could consider appointing someone to fill Shallenberger's unexpired term as early as next month.
Liz Zemba is a reporter for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville Area School Board to ask that state budget be passed
- Connellsville wine store fares well
- Shop on Breakneck Road in Connellsville fills a need
- Bullskin Township/Connellsville Township authority seeks contractor for sewer line
- Fayette fair drew larger crowds, income
- Connellsville Area High School German Club to present Oktoberfest Auto Show
- Connellsville hosting Halloween Home-Decorating Contest
- Ten Commandments monument in Connellsville moves to church property next to senior high
- Changes made to annual Fall Foliage Ride on Yough River Trail
- Scout’s spruce-up of Masontown church nets Eagle award
- 2 retired state troopers seek Fayette sheriff’s post