Safecracker swipes Normalville fire company's cash
A burglar made off with “a few thousand dollars” on Sunday that the Normalville Area Volunteer Fire Company had earmarked for the painting and upgrading of a fire truck, its chief said.
Chief Mark Bigam said firefighters noticed something amiss when they arrived at the station to respond to a call Sunday morning.
“When we went in, we found things out of place,” he said.
State police said fire tools were used to force open a safe.
Bigam declined to provide a specific amount for the loss.
The fire department on Springfield Pike had raised the money through weekly bingos, he said.
The cash was to be used as matching funds for a grant the department had received for the upgrade to the truck, he said.
“We're going to have to replace that money somehow,” he said.
State police are asking anyone with information to call 724-439-7111 or Fayette County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-404-8477.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Detours in place for work on routes 51, 30, 2027
- Hempfield man accused of setting Dumpster ablaze in Fayette County
- Mancuso running for register of wills in Fayette
- Lynn: Dawson VFC to hold Easter egg hunt
- Seton Hill student to run for Connellsville Council
- New HR director in place in Fayette; commissioner remains opposed to hiring
- Father-and-son blacksmiths still firing up forge in Farmington
- Zimmerlink seeking 4th term in Fayette
- Connellsville church collects goods, money for the needy
- Dormant Connellsville community committee donates $3.7K
- Mill Run woman sentenced in daughter’s death