Safecracker swipes Normalville fire company’s cash
Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, January 22, 2013
A burglar made off with “a few thousand dollars” on Sunday that the Normalville Area Volunteer Fire Company had earmarked for the painting and upgrading of a fire truck, its chief said.
Chief Mark Bigam said firefighters noticed something amiss when they arrived at the station to respond to a call Sunday morning.
“When we went in, we found things out of place,” he said.
State police said fire tools were used to force open a safe.
Bigam declined to provide a specific amount for the loss.
The fire department on Springfield Pike had raised the money through weekly bingos, he said.
The cash was to be used as matching funds for a grant the department had received for the upgrade to the truck, he said.
“We're going to have to replace that money somehow,” he said.
State police are asking anyone with information to call 724-439-7111 or Fayette County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-404-8477.
- Fayette County judge approves $6,995 for court experts
- Psychological exam on hold in child death
- Farmington’s Stone House to again hold Bike Night
- Fayette man, 33, labeled sexual predator
- 5 advance in Connellsville Area School Board race
- Lincoln gets Democratic nod in Connellsville mayoral primary
- Finley’s Fighters chooses Geibel student’s logo
- Kasunic wins district judge nominations
- Connellsville prepares for worst-case scenario
- Dunbar Township incumbent wins nomination
- Dawson council approves land sale to VFC
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.