Safecracker swipes Normalville fire company's cash
A burglar made off with “a few thousand dollars” on Sunday that the Normalville Area Volunteer Fire Company had earmarked for the painting and upgrading of a fire truck, its chief said.
Chief Mark Bigam said firefighters noticed something amiss when they arrived at the station to respond to a call Sunday morning.
“When we went in, we found things out of place,” he said.
State police said fire tools were used to force open a safe.
Bigam declined to provide a specific amount for the loss.
The fire department on Springfield Pike had raised the money through weekly bingos, he said.
The cash was to be used as matching funds for a grant the department had received for the upgrade to the truck, he said.
“We're going to have to replace that money somehow,” he said.
State police are asking anyone with information to call 724-439-7111 or Fayette County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-404-8477.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fayette County chop shop operation nets jail time, payment of restitution
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Veterans court program to begin in Fayette
- Upper Tyrone supervisor hopes to mitigate trash dumping problem
- Fayette DA’s office will remain on death penalty case
- Lynn: DL&V fire department selling tickets for Sportsmen’s Bash
- FEMA to review Fayette’s flood plains
- Woman killed in Fayette County van-motorcycle collision
- Saturday is time to ‘Pray Connellsville’