Safecracker swipes Normalville fire company's cash
A burglar made off with “a few thousand dollars” on Sunday that the Normalville Area Volunteer Fire Company had earmarked for the painting and upgrading of a fire truck, its chief said.
Chief Mark Bigam said firefighters noticed something amiss when they arrived at the station to respond to a call Sunday morning.
“When we went in, we found things out of place,” he said.
State police said fire tools were used to force open a safe.
Bigam declined to provide a specific amount for the loss.
The fire department on Springfield Pike had raised the money through weekly bingos, he said.
The cash was to be used as matching funds for a grant the department had received for the upgrade to the truck, he said.
“We're going to have to replace that money somehow,” he said.
State police are asking anyone with information to call 724-439-7111 or Fayette County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-404-8477.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fayette County man pleads guilty to attempted homicide for stabbing during argument
- Connellsville Recreation Board looks for more choices at Movies at East Park
- Mt. Pleasant council picks police chief
- Masontown man Packroni identifies defendant Harris as attacker
- ‘Hairspray Jr.’ comes to Connellsville
- Big things happening for FRIENDS of Carnegie Free Library
- St. Rita of Cascia Roman Catholic Church marks centennial in Connellsville
- Suspect in Uniontown woman’s homicide surrenders to police, claims innocence
- Geibel seniors land lead roles
- Carnegie Free Library plans Big Book Sale
- Fayette County motorist accused of firing shots when good Samaritans stop at crash scene