Safecracker swipes Normalville fire company's cash
A burglar made off with “a few thousand dollars” on Sunday that the Normalville Area Volunteer Fire Company had earmarked for the painting and upgrading of a fire truck, its chief said.
Chief Mark Bigam said firefighters noticed something amiss when they arrived at the station to respond to a call Sunday morning.
“When we went in, we found things out of place,” he said.
State police said fire tools were used to force open a safe.
Bigam declined to provide a specific amount for the loss.
The fire department on Springfield Pike had raised the money through weekly bingos, he said.
The cash was to be used as matching funds for a grant the department had received for the upgrade to the truck, he said.
“We're going to have to replace that money somehow,” he said.
State police are asking anyone with information to call 724-439-7111 or Fayette County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-404-8477.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fayette jail foes want county to be stricken as intervenor in case
- Man held for trial in dragging of Redstone cop
- Breakneck Church to hold flea market, bake sale
- Contest seeks Fayette student entries to name road to jail
- Old water treatment plant in Dunbar Township destroyed by fire
- Sirochman: Fayette genealogy workshop planned for Wednesday
- Connellsville theater group ready to ‘Make a Deal’
- Residents plan town-hall style meeting on Connellsville’s proposed abandoned building ordinance
- Security tightened at Fayette courthouse; Westmoreland says its procedures are sufficient
- Connellsville Redevelopment Authority director touts revitalization
- Longtime Fayette County Fair volunteer Herring honored as ‘ambassador’