TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Connellsville Area website informs parents of weapon in school

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Friday, Feb. 22, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
 

In a letter posted on the district website Thursday, Connellsville Area School District Superintendent Daniel C. Lujetic informed parents that a South Side Elementary School student brought a BB gun to the school on Feb. 14.

“This was not reported to building or district administration that day, and the gun was inadvertently taken out of the building by an adult,” Lujetic stated in the letter.

The building principal learned of the incident that evening and notified Lujetic last Friday, the letter said.

City police Chief Jim Capitos could not be reached for comment Thursday evening.

A police dispatcher confirmed the incident, saying that no one was injured and the gun was taken from the child.

Lujetic's letter stated that elementary principals investigated the incident on Friday.

“I also spent considerable time at South Side that day. The Connellsville police department and I discussed the incident, and the BB gun has been confiscated and is in possession of the police,” the letter continued.

Lujetic could not be reached for comment Thursday evening.

Numerous board members did not return messages requesting comment.

Director Paul Harshman said he had been told “not to comment at this time. We are still investigating.”

Asked who had told him not to comment, he said he would not “divulge that information.”

Directors Francis Mongell and Thomas Dolde expressed surprise when contacted. Both said they had not been made aware of the incident.

Lujetic's letter stated that “confidentiality” issues prevented him from discussing specifics, including any potential disciplinary action.

He said the letter was not sent home to parents sooner because he wanted to gather facts and ensure safety precautions were taking place.

“As a parent, I understand the anxiety and uncertainty that surrounds an incident such as this. But, as an administrator, I assure you that we are all working to make each building as safe as possible, and to deal with incidents such as this one in a timely and safe fashion,” he said.

Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or mpickels@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Fayette

  1. Uniontown homicide suspect says high blood sugar level should negate statements to police
  2. North Fayette municipal authority awaits study on water
  3. Former Fayette commissioner plans run as independent
  4. Attempted homicide charge dropped in Bullskin bat beating, but man held for trial on other counts
  5. Man charged with threats against Fayette firefighters
  6. Fayette County residents warned muggy weather could cause health problems
  7. 3 charged in Fayette County shooting
  8. Connellsville police search for armed robber
  9. Police seeking suspect in Fayette motel robbery
  10. VFW’s new national chief of staff has distinguished service pedigree
  11. Fayette County townships’ leaders worry about water plant