Dr. Seuss' birthday to be celebrated with 'Read and Rhyme' at Connellsville's Carnegie Free Library on March 6
A local pediatrician will visit Carnegie Free Library in Connellsville — along with such characters as Mr. Gump, Shmoop and Captain Oblivious — to celebrate the birthday of famed children's book author Theodore “Dr. Seuss” Geisel.
If Dr. Seuss were still alive, he'd be 109 years old today. He passed away in 1991 at 91. But, he'll live on — probably forever — because reading children (and adults) are drawn to the hypnotizing lingo of his books.
In March, Connellsville Carnegie Free Library joins hundreds (possibly thousands) of other libraries and schools to celebrate Seuss' life and works — works that included more than 40 children's books that still provide chuckles (and literacy) about such fantasy characters as the Cat in the Hat, Horton the Elephant, Sam-I-Am and the Grinch — that green-faced hero of Christmas.
On Wednesday, Carnegie Free Library will welcome Dr. Thaer Almalouf of Pediatric Associates of Westmoreland County, which has offices in Connellsville, Mt. Pleasant, Greensburg, Jeannette and Irwin. He will read Dr. Seuss' 1960 book, “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.”
The library has celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday in various ways for the past five years, but this is the first time that a doctor will read on the special day, said Casey Sirochman, head librarian.
“We're honored to have Dr. Almalouf and thank him and his staff for their time. It will make our celebration more special than ever,” Sirochman added.
Almalouf has practiced in the local area since 2000 after completing his pediatric residency at Brooklyn Hospital in 1998.
After “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish,” there will be a Dr. Seuss-themed craft and game.
“And no birthday celebration would be complete without birthday cake and treats,” Sirochman exclaimed. A Dr. Seuss-themed door prize will also be awarded.
“Call 724-628-1380 or visit us on Facebook. Our website and www.carnegiefreelib.org,” Sirochman said.
Walk-ins are welcome. The library is located at 299 S. Pittsburgh St. across near the First Baptist Church.
“Come sing ‘Happy Birthday' to Dr. Seuss,” the local librarian urged.
Laura Szepesi is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Calvary United Methodist Church to hold 7th annual Gospel Sing
- Appeal filed in death of special needs child in Fayette
- Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend in back
- Fayette County Fair celebrates 60th anniversary
- Fayette woman dies in fall from ATV on National Pike
- Connellsville lecture on Saturday to focus on rejected human-rights ordinance
- Everson OKs recreational burning ordinance
- Old bricks get new purpose, Connellsville gets paved street
- Fayette attorney wants defense counsel disqualified
- Litigants against Fayette jail look to join forces
- Connellsville Redevelopment Authority director touts revitalization