Steelers Footballers basketball game set for March 20 in Connellsville High
Connellsville Area Falcon Foundation will host “Stars In Action,” the Steelers Footballers basketball team that will challenge a local team on March 20.
Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. The first game opponents will be announced at 6:30 p.m. The main event will start at 8 p.m.
The event will feature senior varsity players from the high school, members of the New Haven Hose Company Fire Department, members of the Connellsville Police Department, teachers and special guests against the Steelers Footballers.
“This is the fourth year for this event. It has been successful for us,” said Ken Jaynes, Falcon Foundation president. “It gives the local fans the chance to see some Steelers and get autographs at halftime. The CAHS drum line will perform prior to the main event. They opened the game last year. They are always very impressive.”
Chances will be sold on authentic Steelers jerseys to be given away at the game. At halftime, a skills competition, sponsored by Wendy's of Connellsville, will give someone the chance to win $500 for a one-shot challenge. Last year it was won by a young lady from Junior High (East).
Matt Osniak, assistant manager of Wendy's Connellsville restaurant, will attend the game for the first time this year.
“I think that this event is the perfect fundraiser because it provides entertainment as well as helps to raise money for the classrooms,” said John Ellis of the Falcon Foundation. “Mr. (Tim) Martin helps us by having the high school drum line perform before the Steelers game. The adults as well as the children really seem to enjoy seeing the Steelers up close. The Wendy's halftime skill challenge will be a half-court shot that will earn the person $500 if they make it.”
“As always, we don't know which Steelers team members will be here, but no matter who they are, they always put on a good show,” Jaynes said. “We ask everyone to support the Falcon Foundation by coming out to this event. All of the money goes back to support the technology needs of the school district. Tickets are $7.”
Tickets are on sale at all schools in the Connellsville Area School District, the office of Dr. John Ellis, West Side Jewelry, Rumbaugh Chiropractic and Mancuso Barber Shop.
Paul Harshman is event chairman.
The game will be held in the senior high school gym. Enter through the side entrance. There is plenty of parking.
Among other upcoming Falcon Foundation fundraisers is a ticket to win two reserved seats to all Steelers home games. The ticket will be on sale soon.
Nancy Henry is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A Christmas story: Childhood holiday in Dunbar recollected
- Trinity United Presbyterian offers Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Uniontown self-help book author finds ‘Inner Peace’ through writing
- Connellsville teen charged in attack on 80-year-old man, daughter allowed to play high school basketball
- Uniontown man charged with raping 2 girls
- Connellsville High announces leads for March musical
- Connellsville man admitted drinking, fighting with victim before deadly 2013 crash, trooper testifies
- Stanley Cup coming to Ice Mine in Dunbar Township
- Fallen Perryopolis police officer chased his dream
- Normalville church performs Christmas play
- Connellsville Area High School Chamber Ensemble awaiting word on sing-off