Former state Rep. Lawrence "Larry" Roberts to run for Fayette County treasurer
A former state legislator is running for Fayette County treasurer.
Lawrence “Larry” Roberts, 71, of South Union is seeking the Democratic nomination for the four-year post. The position is open because the incumbent, Robert Danko, is retiring in December.
“It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I would never have run against Bob Danko,” Roberts said. “I'm hoping I can do as good a job as he did.”
Roberts is a retired state legislator. He served 14 years as the Democratic representative in the 51st District. Roberts is self-employed as a labor arbitrator.
Roberts wants to bring his financial experience in the state House of Representatives to the county treasurer's office.
“It is my firm belief that the treasurer needs to be someone with financial responsibility, which I will provide,” Roberts said in a statement. “In that regard, I served on the economic development committee as the subcommittee chairman for banking for 14 years.”
In addition, Roberts said he was on the board of directors of a “large federal credit union” and has “an excellent credit record.”
A disabled veteran with 22 years of active duty military service, Roberts has a master's degree in business. He is a graduate of Uniontown High School and holds lifetime memberships with the Hutchison Sportsmens Club, VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, DAV and several other military organizations.
Other memberships include the Uniontown Sons of Italy, Uniontown AF&AM 651 and Jednota.
Liz Zemba is a reporter for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- 58-acre site for proposed Fayette County jail back on market
- $1.2M flowing to Connellsville through partnership program
- ‘Bank at the Train Station’ to hold grand opening Saturday
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Connellsville honors the late Ralph Wombacker
- Bedford woman’s works on display at Fayette law library
- Landfill in McClellandtown assessed $20,000 penalty
- Connellsville council expected to set budget meetings