Conversion of Connellsville Junior High West into elementary school to begin
Renovations to turn the former Connellsville Junior High West building into an elementary school should begin by April 1.
Connellsville Area School Board directors on Wednesday night awarded several contracts.
Masscon Inc. of Uniontown was the lowest responsible bidder on general construction, at $908,700.
However, Director Paul Means asked that $14,000 for lock sets on the building's doors be subtracted.
“We're currently working on a school-wide district policy and they (members of school security) want to discuss how to deal with school security, so I think this is something that can wait for a while and doesn't need to be approved right now,” he said.
Directors approved the final number of $894,700 for Masscon Inc.
Directors also approved the heating and air conditioning low bid of $158,650 from Whitby Inc., Uniontown; plumbing contract low bid of $132,400 from Wheels Mechanical, Pittsburgh; and electrical contract low bid of $114,500 from Abeck Electrical Construction, Wilmerding.
Michael Omatick, the district's building and grounds supervisor, said all of the renovations need to be complete by July 31.
“We want to be ready to go in August for the new school year,” he said.
The plan is to have students from Zachariah Connell Elementary start the 2013-14 school year there.
However, the renovated building will have enough room to bring in elementary students from other district elementary schools if that's the direction the board decides to go in the future.
In other business, directors approved more than $41,000 in change orders dealing with the senior high school renovations.
• Awarded the senior high assistant volleyball coach supplemental contract to Alyssa Dye at a salary of $1,862.
• Approved Robert Malia as a volunteer coach for the varsity football program for the 2013-14 school year.
Several revisions to curriculum at the Connellsville Area Career and Technical Center were approved as well as revisions in social studies, music and art, music composition, comprehensive musicianship, music technology, earth and space science and anatomy and physiology.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greater Connellsville chamber seeks nominations
- Lynn: Fayette communities enjoying holidays
- Connellsville Polar Bear Club ready for New Year’s
- Uniontown self-help book author finds ‘Inner Peace’ through writing
- A Christmas story: Childhood holiday in Dunbar recollected
- Connellsville burning rules set to kick in
- Everson volunteer firefighters set to sell hoagies
- Trinity United Presbyterian offers Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Connellsville teen charged in attack on 80-year-old man, daughter allowed to play high school basketball
- Connellsville Area High School Chamber Ensemble awaiting word on sing-off
- ArtWorks Connellsville hires gallery manager