Conversion of Connellsville Junior High West into elementary school to begin
Renovations to turn the former Connellsville Junior High West building into an elementary school should begin by April 1.
Connellsville Area School Board directors on Wednesday night awarded several contracts.
Masscon Inc. of Uniontown was the lowest responsible bidder on general construction, at $908,700.
However, Director Paul Means asked that $14,000 for lock sets on the building's doors be subtracted.
“We're currently working on a school-wide district policy and they (members of school security) want to discuss how to deal with school security, so I think this is something that can wait for a while and doesn't need to be approved right now,” he said.
Directors approved the final number of $894,700 for Masscon Inc.
Directors also approved the heating and air conditioning low bid of $158,650 from Whitby Inc., Uniontown; plumbing contract low bid of $132,400 from Wheels Mechanical, Pittsburgh; and electrical contract low bid of $114,500 from Abeck Electrical Construction, Wilmerding.
Michael Omatick, the district's building and grounds supervisor, said all of the renovations need to be complete by July 31.
“We want to be ready to go in August for the new school year,” he said.
The plan is to have students from Zachariah Connell Elementary start the 2013-14 school year there.
However, the renovated building will have enough room to bring in elementary students from other district elementary schools if that's the direction the board decides to go in the future.
In other business, directors approved more than $41,000 in change orders dealing with the senior high school renovations.
• Awarded the senior high assistant volleyball coach supplemental contract to Alyssa Dye at a salary of $1,862.
• Approved Robert Malia as a volunteer coach for the varsity football program for the 2013-14 school year.
Several revisions to curriculum at the Connellsville Area Career and Technical Center were approved as well as revisions in social studies, music and art, music composition, comprehensive musicianship, music technology, earth and space science and anatomy and physiology.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man’s body found hours after disappearance on Youghiogheny River
- Fayette County Salary Board approves hires
- Emergency crews search Youghiogheny River in Layton for Charleroi man
- Connellsville gifted students stage ‘Living Wax Museum’
- DA’s office recused from Fayette man’s $110K cocaine case
- Connellsville Area School District rethinks grading
- Fayette County Salary Board adds jobs, OKs additional hirings
- Fayette deputy warden asks for more guards
- Police in Fayette County seek witnesses to motorcycle accident
- Porterfield: Chestnut Ridge Volunteer Fire Company will hold its 15th annual golf outing
- Connellsville Area’s $4.8M budget gap raises specter of layoffs