Last Supper to be presented by Connellsville church
The Church of God in Connellsville will present the Last Supper at 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
“Last year we held it on Sunday morning and the church was packed. We then had comments throughout the year to hold it in the evening so that those who attend church Sunday mornings elsewhere can come see this program,” said the Rev. Nelson D. Confer, church pastor.
“We've added a scene this year. After the Last Supper we will present the Crucifixion. We would like to add a new scene each year,” Confer said.
The new scene will be of the last mile that Jesus walked to the Crucifixion site. The choir will sing special music, and there will be individual solos.
“We've involved the whole church this year. It is the Church of God putting this presentation on for the entire community,” Confer said.
Church members are involved in every aspect. “The gentleman who is building the set for Jesus on the cross is really putting a lot of time and effort in. He is an engineer and is creating an incredible backdrop. He has it perfectly planned. I can't wait to see it,” Confer said.
When it was announced that the church would be presenting the program again this year, all the men who had been disciples last year stepped up again, with the exception of two, one who had moved away. Another disciple has taken on a different role for the production.
Jesus will be played by Jeremy Stansak, and the narrator will be Bonnie Confer. The music director is Jana Sperandio and the director of the program is Renee Urbach.
Confer welcomes everyone to see this uplifting Last Supper presentation, adding that when the mother of Jesus speaks to him on the cross, those present may be moved to tears. “We have not gotten through rehearsal without everyone crying,” Confer said.
Confer said those who don't have a church of their own are invited to the Sunday morning services on Easter. Early service is at 8 a.m., followed by breakfast served by the Men Of Faith of the church followed by the regular worship service at 10:45 a.m.
The church is located at 126 Breakneck Ave.. A free will offering will be collected.
Nancy Henry is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail
- Sheetz to expand in Bullskin
- Sewage plans for hotel, Sheetz OK’d by Connellsville council
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- Statements to stand in Connellsville High School athlete’s slaying
- Springfield students collect hygiene items
- PennDOT schedules bridge meeting
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette