Connellsville Christian Church sponsoring prayer labyrinth on Maundy Thursday
The Christian Church of Connellsville (Disciples of Christ) will transform its fellowship hall into a prayer labyrinth on Maundy Thursday (March 28).
“We will open the church to the public to come walk a prayer labyrinth that we are constructing with stones in our fellowship hall. This is a meditative device that was first used in the Middle Ages. Each person will walk through with just their thoughts, their prayers, and their God. It is a maze in which the entrance and the exit are the same and what you find in the maze is what you bring in,” said the Rev. Chris Stillwell, church pastor.
The prayer labyrinth will be open 2-6 p.m.
A prayer labyrinth is a unique maze in which there are twists and turns but no dead ends.
There is one way in and one way out.
A person enters the labyrinth in a prayerful and meditative state and contemplates their faith journey and their walk with Christ as they go. At each turn they are invited to ask God for help with a different issue in their life until they reach the center where they are invited to spend a few moments in silent prayer and thanksgiving. Then as they walk out they are invited to give thanks to God for a specific blessing at each turn they encounter.
The church will also hold its regular Tenebrae service that evening at 7 p.m. followed by the Common Meal. Anyone who attends the service may walk the labyrinth after the service.
There will be music playing as each person walks. Candles will be lit.
The fellowship hall is easily accessible through the door from the parking area of the church, located at 212 S. Pittsburgh St.
Calvary Assembly of God, located on South Pittsburgh Street, will hold a special service 7-9 p.m. Good Friday (March 29.)
Barbara Wilbur, church and team member, has put together the program “King of Majesty, an Easter Celebration.” It will feature the Crown Jewels Praise Team.
“It will be an evening of pageantry, a worship service featuring banners, flags, canopies, dance and singing. All ages are welcome, there is no admission fee,” said Wilbur.
The Rev. Matt Goldsberry invites the public to the Good Friday service.
A prayer ministry will be offered at the end. For more information call the church at 724-628-8835 or Wilbur at 724-626-0531. The church is located at 1316 S. Pittsburgh St.
Nancy Henry is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ten Commandments monument in Connellsville moves to church property next to senior high
- Rep. Stefano’s 6th coffee conversation centers on budget impasse, taxes
- Connellsville Chamber to honor Falcon Foundation, which helps district students, at Gatsby gala Oct. 24
- Road issues broached in Springfield Township
- Bullskin Township/Connellsville Township authority seeks contractor for sewer line
- Connellsville church’s coffeehouse events in 5th season
- Geibel announces Homecoming court
- Mt. Zion Community Church to hold revival meeting
- Fayette man acquitted in sex assaults
- Connellsville boy enjoys VFD visit; 3-year-old asks for fireman’s coat, hat
- Connellsville Coker museum to open this month