Uniontown church reports missing Sunday donations
A church in Fayette County church reported donations missing from its Sunday collection.
At least two envelopes containing donations and $14 in cash were discovered missing from St. John Byzantine Catholic Church on East Main Street in Uniontown on Sunday, police said.
The church's priest, the Rev. John Larko, declined comment on Monday.
According to the police report, envelopes containing donations that were collected during the Sunday morning service were combined into one basket placed at the rear of the church. Candle donations were then counted and added to the basket.
The basket was taken to the sacristy, where the envelopes and cash were placed into a bag, police said.
After the service had ended, a person who was helping to count the money noticed that his donation envelope and his mother's were missing. The $14 in donations for candles was missing, too, according to the report.
Larko told police there were no envelopes in the collection from several people who attended the service who usually donate. It was unknown whether those individuals had donated, police said.
There is no estimate on the amount in missing donations.
Police advised Larko to consider changing the manner in which donations are collected and stored. A police investigation is ongoing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville area poverty simulation opens people’s eyes
- Man to serve prison sentence for rock attack
- 3 men to stand trial over runaway Latrobe foster children
- Air conditioner replaced at Fayette County’s jail annex
- Connellsville considers axing paid firefighters
- Longtime Connellsville area business closes its doors
- Albert Gallatin bus driver pleads guilty to sexual assault
- Fayette Friends of Animals volunteer uses talent to help get her shelter animals adopted
- Connellsville Health Board airs ordinance issues
- Warrant issued for Mich. man in Nemacolin scam
- Fayette jail foes want county to be stricken as intervenor in case