Fayette, Westmoreland communities finalize plans for 2013 G-7
By Marilyn Forbes
Published: Friday, April 5, 2013, 12:11 a.m.
Local municipal leader gathered on Wednesday to make final arrangements for the G7, which will be held April 18 through 20 at the Laurelville Mennonite Church Center.
The purpose of the summit is to allow the municipalities to come together and discuss issues, concerns and share ideas.
Participating this year are Connellsville, Mt. Pleasant, Scottdale, Everson, South Connellsville, Youngwood and New Stanton.
“At this point, we have just about everything taken care of,” said Jeff Landy, Mt. Pleasant borough manager and event founder.
This is the fourth year for the summit.
“It would be great if we could find a few more sponsors for this. Our goal has always been to find enough sponsors so that this year, each town will be hosting different topics,” Landy said.
South Connellsville will be hosting the public works and street department segment; Everson, intermunicipal agreements; Scottdale, tax assessment and appeals; Mt. Pleasant, crime control and relationships with the state police; Youngwood, recycling and environmental protection and legislative initiatives; New Stanton, mayor and council and council responsibilities and liabilities; and Connellsville, Marcellus shale and pensions.
With Youngwood and New Stanton joining the event this year, organizers are hoping there will be more interest and larger attendance.
“We averaged about 10 to 15 last year, so I think that we can safely say we can expect 15 to 20 this year,” Landy said.
Connellsville Organizers are looking for sponsors who will be featured on banners and in the program.
Anyone interested in becoming a sponsor for the event can contact Landy at 724-547-6745.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Texas company offers investment in millions to upgrade Everson plant
- Lemont woman accused of stealing purses, using credit cards
- West Leisenring band’s EP release party to benefit firefighters
- Connellsville Community Yard Sale set May 3; enrollment deadline is April 28
- Geibel alumnus Sammy Brooks to perform jazz during tuition fundraiser on Saturday
- Election board rejects ballot referendum on Fayette County prison issues
- Planning underway for Connellsville Christmas event
- Police pursuit ends with Smithfield suspect wounded, thirsty for beer
- Masontown girl pulls off heroic task at state farm show
- Recording studio joins Connellsville community center’s growing artist enclave
- Closure of West Side News shocks previous owners