Dunbar Township standoff ends after 7 hours with man's arrest
A seven-hour standoff between a man and police ended around 5:30 a.m. today at a home along Oglevee Lane in Dunbar Township.
Thomas R. Baker Jr., 39, of 228 Oglevee Lane, Connellsville, was taken into custody early this morning and was awaiting arraignment on charges in relation to the standoff.
State police at Uniontown were called to Baker's residence on a domestic call shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday.
“He allegedly assaulted two family members,” said Lt. Jeff Fisher with the state police at Uniontown, adding that one of the victims was a juvenile.
Fisher said upon police arrival, the two victims were out of the house and taken to a safe location.
At that point, Baker refused to leave his residence to be interviewed by police.
Fisher said troopers notified neighbors of what was happening and to go to their basements for protection. The Pennsylvania State Police Emergency Response Team was contacted and arrived at the scene and police spent hours attempting communication with Baker, said Fisher. Police used a public address system attempting to get Baker to leave the home.
In the early morning hours, Fisher said Baker exited the home and peacefully surrendered. He was not in possession of a weapon at the time of his surrender but Fisher said he believes he had a weapon while he was inside the residence.
Fisher was not certain if alcohol or drugs were involved in the incident.
Oglevee Lane was opened again at around 6 a.m. after being closed since the standoff began.
Baker will be charged with simple assault, harassment and additional charges. He had charges of simple assault and harassment held against him in 2011, but those charges were dismissed in district court.
There was no information available if the two victims were injured in the assault.
Mark Hofmann is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-626-3539 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dunbar Twp. man, 82, accused of trying to rape home health aide may get probation
- Father, son offered plea deals in child pornography case in Fayette County
- Agriculture chief touts local products in Fayette County visit
- Connellsville native, puppeteer makes it to semifinals of ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Man charged with sexual assaults on girl in Fayette
- 3 accused in Uniontown in use of stolen credit card
- Engine roar lures fans to Fayette County Fair Demolition Derby
- Permit for Connellsville hotel still in hands of state
- Fatally stabbed Fayette County victim had been urged to leave girlfriend
- More vandalism charges filed against Mt. Pleasant pair
- Daily Courier columnist knew, loved Connellsville community