Upgrade work on Rt. 711 runaway truck ramp in Connellsville Township begins
Work will begin on Tuesday to replace the crushed stone aggregate on the Route 711 truck escape ramp on Springfield Pike in Connellsville Township.
PennDOT District 12 in Uniontown decided to replace the aggregate with rounded river rock stone that would better slow down heavy trucks by allowing them to sink, slowing their forward motion, said Valerie Petersen, community relations coordinator.
The ramp, with the aggregate installed, was built in 2012.
“(The aggregate) wasn't performing to what we needed,” Petersen added, noting the decision was made after reviewing the ramp's condition following the winter's freeze-thaw cycles.
“Think of the river rock like marbles,” Petersen said. “They slowly move around and out of the way, slowing (the vehicle) down.”
Motorists should expect occasional flaggers who will move trucks in and out of the ramp work zone.
“The key is safety,” she said, noting that the summer construction season is beginning. “Be aware for your safety.”
Petersen said there have been no reports of accidents since the ramp was built.
Tom Cesario, chairman of the Connellsville Township supervisors, agreed, noting he had not heard of any problems with the ramp.
Preparation work began on Monday.
The runaway truck ramp will be closed during the project until the aggregate is replaced. Motorists and truckers are asked to use caution and should expect traffic pattern changes.
The work is scheduled to be completed by April 17.
Karl Polacek is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Post-war ‘welcome’ still stings Vietnam War veteran from Connellsville
- Connellsville, Mt. Pleasant fireworks postponed until Sunday
- Fayette County men recount fathers’ roles in World War II
- Aaron’s building review planned
- Funeral planned for Connellsville teen who died in crash
- Rockin’ Ribfest in Connellsville on weekend
- Investigation into dropped baby at Uniontown Hospital continues
- Connellsville fireworks display back to riverbank
- PIC facility in Lemont Furnace serves kids, job seekers
- Day-old baby dropped at Uniontown hospital by nurse
- 2015 Connellsville grad identified as victim of Bullskin motorcycle crash