Downtown Connellsville sponsoring "Connellsville Cares"
Downtown Connellsville is sponsoring a citywide cleanup.
The cleanup will be held starting at 9 a.m. May 18 and continue until 5 p.m.
The local event has been named “Connellsville Cares.”
It is being sponsored in conjunction with the Great American Clean-Up and Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful, which are ongoing efforts.
“The date was chosen because it is one week before the garden club's annual Geranium Festival, and we would like to present our city at its best when we'll be having so many people in town. We hope that through the volunteer efforts on May 18 both residents and out-of-town visitors attending the Geranium Festival will be greeted not only with a wonderful event, but also a city that shines,” said Michael Edwards, president of Fayette County Cultural Trust. Downtown Connellsville is a program of FCCT.
Volunteers are asked to register early by calling ArtWorks at 724-320-6392.
Four groups will then be formed to concentrate on picking up litter in four areas — Pittsburgh Street, Crawford Avenue, East Park and along the Great Allegheny Passage.
PennDOT will supply the gloves, trash bags, reflective vests, posters, signs and coloring books and crayons for youth.
Downtown Connellsville will provide water and light snacks.
The initial gathering starts in front of Artworks, located at 139 W. Crawford Ave. Teams will move out from there to the designated areas.
Nancy Henry is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sewage plans for hotel, Sheetz OK’d by Connellsville council
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville
- Springfield students collect hygiene items
- Sheetz to expand in Bullskin
- Statements to stand in Connellsville High School athlete’s slaying
- PennDOT schedules bridge meeting
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Connellsville to honor local legend Harold Betters