Connellsville man charged in standoff
The Connellsville man accused of beginning a standoff with police last week was arraigned and jailed on Friday.
Randy Scott Flack, 56, of 208 Snyder St. was charged with aggravated assault, terroristic threats, causing a serious public inconvenience, discharge of a firearm in an occupied structure, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment, recklessly endangering another person, simple assault, harassment and disorderly conduct before District Judge Ronald Haggerty Jr.
According to the criminal complaint, Connellsville police responded to a report at 8:41 p.m. April 13 involving Flack's residence. The report said a male had a loaded handgun, threatened to shoot himself and refused to let a woman leave.
The man inside the residence was identified by Fayette 911 as Flack. There was an argument inside the house.
Police arrived and attempted to make contact, but were told the home's phone line was dead. Officers were ready to enter when informed by Fayette 911 that the woman called again, according to the complaint.
In the background, Flack was heard screaming for the police to get back in their cars or else. Police reportedly backed away from the residence and secured the scene for additional personnel to arrive.
Police were able to make contact with Flack, who wasn't willing to come out. Police continued to make several calls to the house, but all of them ended with Flack hanging up.
At 9:33 p.m., the woman exited the residence and was moved away by police. Seven minutes later, police heard a single gunshot from inside the house.
Officers were prepared to enter the house when Flack called and told them he just wanted to hear the gun's volume, according to the complaint. About eight minutes later, Flack exited the house through the kitchen door and surrendered without incident.
Police found a .25-caliber silver handgun on the kitchen table and a single bullet hole in the light fixture above the kitchen table. The firearm was loaded and a spent shell casing was found on the kitchen floor.
Flack was lodged in Fayette County Prison, with bail set at $75,000.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled at 10 a.m. May 2 before Haggerty.
Mark Hofmann is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-626-3539 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2015 Connellsville grad identified as victim of Bullskin motorcycle crash
- Masontown woman charged with leaving infant in hot vehicle
- Rockin’ Ribfest in Connellsville on weekend
- Day-old baby dropped at Uniontown hospital by nurse
- Brooklyn man’s cross-state taxi ride leads straight to jail in Uniontown
- Fayette County Fair won’t be disrupted by Route 119 project
- Motorcyclist dies in accident in Bullskin
- Injuries show Uniontown’s Forsythe her career path
- Connellsville Area Career and Technical Center students to attend post-secondary schools
- Uniontown man pleads guilty to raping 2 young girls
- Librarian chronicles history of Fayette County executions