Connellsville Area faces $2.9M budget deficit, reschedules meeting to May 28
Connellsville Area School Board administrators expect to have a tentative 2013-14 budget approved by May 31.
Board members passed a motion at their meeting Wednesday night to move a previously scheduled 7 p.m. budget meeting from May 22 to May 28.
Business Manager Eugene Cunningham said the change is necessary so that the board could have representatives from their bond counsel available in order to pass a resolution on the bond-refunding issue at the special budget meeting. Board members were informed in April that the proposed budget deficit is about $2.9 million.
Superintendent Dan Lujetic said Wednesday that the number should be smaller by the time the May 28 meeting arrives.
The budget was not discussed further.
In other action. directors:
• Agreed to approve a three-year contract extension for cafeteria employees. The contract is effective from July 1 through June 30, 2017.
• Hired Dawn Basinger as the new director of food safety, effective July 1, at an annual salary of $42,750.
Basinger, a manager in the food-service department at Bullskin Elementary, will replace Junie Clawson, who will retire Sept. 10 after 30 years of service to the district.
Directors also approved supplemental contracts:
• Emily Ward, senior high co-assistant track coach, at a salary of $816 for 2012-13
• Derek Petrone, senior high football coach at a salary of $5,109 for 2013-14
• John Schroyer, senior high football co-offensive coordinator at a salary of $3,143 for 2013-14
• Richard Evans, senior high football scout at a salary of $1,090 for 2013-14
• Kris Oswald, senior high freshman basketball coach at a salary of $3,074 for 2013-14
• Ray Orndorff, junior high eighth-grade football assistant coach at a salary of $2,596 for 2013-14
• Glenda Groh, junior high head cheerleading coach at a salary of $2,811 for 2013-14.
Under curriculum, directors approved the adoption of several new textbooks, including ones for pre-physics, social studies, honors geometry and biology.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dunbar Twp. man held for trial in DUI fatality
- A fair, and fitting, tribute
- Warrant issued for Mich. man in Nemacolin scam
- Uniontown law firm gives up row office appointment amid ethics questions
- Fayette fair queen, princess are crowned
- Connellsville man held for court in robbery of pizza delivery man
- Appeal filed in death of special needs child in Fayette
- Fayette County prothonotary’s bid to block access to abuse orders in dispute
- Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend in back
- Fayette County Fair celebrates 60th anniversary
- Old bricks get new purpose, Connellsville gets paved street