Plans proceed to convert Mountz Creek Park to volleyball court, recreation area
Working with Sam Cook of Connellsville, the Connellsville Recreation Board has passed a motion to allow Cook to proceed with plans to turn Mountz Creek Park into a volleyball court and recreational area.
“It will be a cost to us of about $11,000,” recreation board member Leigh Ann Lincoln said this week. “We have about one-quarter of the materials donated, and the rest can come out of our funds.”
Cook presented a drawing and details of the proposed project, which will include volleyball courts, a pavilion and possibly a small shower area and horseshoe pits.
If built, the new volleyball courts would generate revenue for the city, Cook said.
The board will take the proposal and details to City Council for final approval.
In other business, Misty Fuller of Dunbar Township asked board members their opinions about her holding a fundraising event in East Park, to benefit the park.
“I'd like to have vendors and include things like little races for the kids,” Fuller said. “I've already talked to some clowns who will volunteer their time doing face-painting. My goal is to raise $5,000, then maybe we could work on the other parks.”
Board members agreed that a fundraiser for East Park is a good idea and suggested the event be planned to coincide with one of the Movies in the Park program, which will hosted by the recreation board during the summer.
“This is just in the beginning stages, and I think that we have the potential to do this,” Fuller said. “It's something that I would like to do every year.”
The board has finalized its list of movies at East Park.
“We picked out a great lineup of movies,” board member Greg Lincoln said.
• June 13, “Harry Potter”
• June 26, “Field of Dreams”
• July 5, “Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure”
• July 20, “Up”
• Aug. 1, “Monsters, Inc.”
• Aug. 17, “Little Giants”
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man’s body found hours after disappearance on Youghiogheny River
- Fayette County Salary Board approves hires
- Connellsville gifted students stage ‘Living Wax Museum’
- Emergency crews search Youghiogheny River in Layton for Charleroi man
- DA’s office recused from Fayette man’s $110K cocaine case
- Fayette County Salary Board adds jobs, OKs additional hirings
- Connellsville Area School District rethinks grading
- Fayette deputy warden asks for more guards
- Porterfield: Chestnut Ridge Volunteer Fire Company will hold its 15th annual golf outing
- Connellsville Area’s $4.8M budget gap raises specter of layoffs
- Gulf War veteran restores Uniontown mansion