Chase through city streets lands Uniontown man in jail
A Uniontown man was jailed late last week after police said he led them on a chase through city streets, tossing a handgun and a bottle of pills out the window as he fled.
Terrell Maurice Jones, 23, was arraigned before District Judge Michael Metros on charges of prohibited possession of firearms, firearm not to be carried without a license, possession, manufacture, possession of marijuana, fleeing/eluding and driving under suspension.
According to an affidavit of probable cause filed with Metros, Patrolman Michael Bittner said he was dispatched to an alley behind Austin Street at 7:43 p.m. Saturday for a report of a large fight involving weapons.
Bittner said he saw a red Dodge Neon pull away from the alley at a high rate of speed onto Thomas Street. The driver ignored attempts to stop and turned onto Coolspring Street. Police said he fled toward Pershing Court, went through a stop sign and turned onto Route 40 east toward Hopwood.
At that point, Bittner said, he positively identified the driver as Jones.
As the chase continued, Jones tossed a black handgun out the driver's side window, Bittner said. Another officer stopped to retrieve the gun as Jones sped away.
Jones drove into Tuskegee Terrace, police said, where he was observed throwing a prescription bottle out the window. He finally stopped and was taken into custody.
The prescription bottle was retrieved and was found to contain two clear bags of material that later tested positive as 5.4 grams of cocaine.
Pills in the bottle were identified as hydrocodone, a prescription narcotic.
Material in bags found inside a jacket in the car tested positive for marijuana and heroin, police said.
Jones was lodged in the Fayette County jail in lieu of $50,000 bond.
He faces a preliminary hearing before Metros on June 11.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville’s Mozart Music Club to celebrate 95th anniversary
- New Frazier superintendent’s main goal: Focus on the students
- ‘Trigger clause’ in ordinance unnecessary, says Connellsville’s health board
- Final ‘Wednesdays at West Overton’ to feature Bullskin woman
- Community Field Day fundraiser planned at East Park in Connellsville
- Connellsville area’s weather into December could be mixed bag
- Robber threatens employee at Subway in Uniontown Mall
- War display planned during Dunbar Fest
- Dawson native Leonard finishes season with Braves’ AAA affiliate
- Connellsville tech center names homecoming queen