Tearful teen testifies against Uniontown sexual assault suspect
A 13-year-old girl testified in a Fayette County courtroom Tuesday that a 64-year-old man would undress and sexually assault her during overnight visits to his residence.
John Dale Stewart Sr. of Uniontown is on trial, charged with numerous counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault and corruption of minors.
The girl took the stand Tuesday afternoon in the courtroom of Senior Judge John F. Wagner Jr., often crying and speaking so softly that she had to repeat her answers.
The Tribune-Review does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault.
The girl said that when she was much younger, she regularly visited Stewart. The sexual assaults went on over the course of several years, she said.
“Do you remember him doing something to you that made you feel bad or mad?” asked assistant District Attorney Linda Cordaro.
The girl said Stewart would wake her and “touch me, in my private area, below my waist.”
During questioning by defense attorney Brian Salisbury, the girl said she thought the incidents happened more than 10 times, but less than 20 times.
“You liked staying at (Stewart's) house?” he asked.
“Yes,” she answered.
The girl said that when a relative asked if Stewart had touched her, she denied it.
“I did not want to tell her because she has a bad heart,” the girl said.
“Is (Stewart) important to you?” Salisbury asked.
“Not anymore,” she said.
Testimony is set to continue at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Old water treatment plant in Dunbar Township destroyed by fire
- Connellsville theater group ready to ‘Make a Deal’
- Residents plan town-hall style meeting on Connellsville’s proposed abandoned building ordinance
- Contest seeks Fayette student entries to name road to jail
- Fayette jail foes want county to be stricken as intervenor in case
- Breakneck Church to hold flea market, bake sale
- Man held for trial in dragging of Redstone cop
- Longtime Fayette County Fair volunteer Herring honored as ‘ambassador’
- Pennsylvania State VFW Post 8543 Band continues to grow
- Sisters of St. Basil to host 80th pilgrimage to Uniontown
- Sirochman: Fayette genealogy workshop planned for Wednesday