Tearful teen testifies against Uniontown sexual assault suspect
A 13-year-old girl testified in a Fayette County courtroom Tuesday that a 64-year-old man would undress and sexually assault her during overnight visits to his residence.
John Dale Stewart Sr. of Uniontown is on trial, charged with numerous counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault and corruption of minors.
The girl took the stand Tuesday afternoon in the courtroom of Senior Judge John F. Wagner Jr., often crying and speaking so softly that she had to repeat her answers.
The Tribune-Review does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault.
The girl said that when she was much younger, she regularly visited Stewart. The sexual assaults went on over the course of several years, she said.
“Do you remember him doing something to you that made you feel bad or mad?” asked assistant District Attorney Linda Cordaro.
The girl said Stewart would wake her and “touch me, in my private area, below my waist.”
During questioning by defense attorney Brian Salisbury, the girl said she thought the incidents happened more than 10 times, but less than 20 times.
“You liked staying at (Stewart's) house?” he asked.
“Yes,” she answered.
The girl said that when a relative asked if Stewart had touched her, she denied it.
“I did not want to tell her because she has a bad heart,” the girl said.
“Is (Stewart) important to you?” Salisbury asked.
“Not anymore,” she said.
Testimony is set to continue at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge rules in favor of Seven Springs Mountain Resort over road closure
- Conn-Area to stage ‘Beauty and the Beast Jr.’
- Fayette twins injured as newborns expected to be adopted by foster mother
- Donations keep Connellsville Area Community Ministries food bank afloat
- Lost bear hunter from Westmoreland County located
- Organizations benefit from grants
- Brownsville man charged with attempted homicide in shooting near Cal U
- Connellsville man charged after boy took prescription
- Seven Springs fights lawsuit calling to keep Neals Run Road open in winter
- Owner challenges vacant designation in Connellsville