Hearing continued for Connellsville mayoral candidate
The Connellsville mayoral candidate accused of allegedly running a chop shop had his preliminary hearing on Thursday continued until next week.
Joshua DeWitt, 27, of Connellsville was charged with owning / operating / conducting a chop shop; receiving stolen property; and conspiracy of owning / operating / conducting a chop shop and receiving stolen property. The charges were filed at 1:45 p.m. Monday before District Judge Ronald Haggerty Jr.
Information from the magisterial docket sheet reported the incident occurred on March 3, 2011, in Bullskin Township.
DeWitt initially was charged last year with owning / operating / conducting a chop shop along with his uncle, Rodney Francis Allen of Connellsville, and Dale Robert Naugle of Connellsville. The Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Western Regional Auto Theft Task Force investigated the theft of a Ford F-150 pickup from Davies Ford.
The three men were accused of stripping the truck down for parts, which were recovered at Allen's garage in Bullskin Township.
The charges last year against DeWitt were dismissed. Allen and Naugle are awaiting trial in Fayette County Court of Common Pleas.
DeWitt is running a campaign against incumbent Connellsville Mayor Charles Matthews and candidate Gregory Lincoln on the Democratic ticket for the May 21 primary election.
He is free on $20,000 unsecured bond.
His new preliminary hearing date has been scheduled for 10:15 a.m. May 16 before Haggerty.
Mark Hofmann is a reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-626-3539.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pair share love of dance with youths in Fayette, Westmoreland
- Redstone police sergeant put on unpaid leave in domestic dispute
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Veterans court program to begin in Fayette
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Purple Heart recipient from Connellsville Township soldiers on
- Police hunt for North Union shooter
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Millertown church to hold Word of Life program kickoff
- Defense: Friendship led to death penalty pursuit in Fayette case
- Fayette County chop shop operation nets jail time, payment of restitution