Connellsville musicians to take the stage at Storey Square
Several Connellsville area musicians will be participating in upcoming concerts being held at Storey Square in Uniontown, including well-known jazz trombonist Harold Betters and a newer local band, The Sammy Brooks Band.
The sound of music and the smell of delicious food will fill the air in downtown Uniontown this summer as the 2013 Storey Square Summer Concert Series begins.
Uniontown City Council members are encouraging city and county residents to take advantage of the popular series that is celebrated in the city every summer.
“This is a great night out for residents,” said Uniontown City Councilman Philip Michael. “It's free entertainment in the city every Monday.”
The entertainment and food will be offered from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Mondays. A farmers market will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. during the concerts.
The series will kick off on Monday, when the VFW Post 8543 Band will play. Food provided by Hot Diggity Dogs can be purchased. Fayette County Community Action Agency's Food Bank will sponsor the event and nonperishable food donations will be accepted.
The remaining concerts, restaurants and nonprofit sponsors are as follows:
• July 15, Outpost and Ellie Mae's Caterings sponsored by Fayette County Colon Cancer Network.
• July 22, The Sammy Brooks Band and World Importing sponsored by Fayette County Community Action Agency's Home-Delivered Meal Program.
• July 29, Polish Six Pack and DiMarco's Bistro & Cantino sponsored by the Handicapped Adult Dance Committee.
• Aug. 5, Shelly McCombie and Joe Dogg's sponsored by Fayette Friends of Animals.
• Aug. 12, Abacus Jones and B 21/Café 45 sponsored by Uniontown Arts Fellowship.
• Aug. 19, Neon Swing X-Perience and the Boston Beanery sponsored by the American Heart Association.
• Aug. 26, The High Ryder and Ellie Mae's Catering sponsored by the State Theatre Center for the Arts.
• Sept. 9, Ed McDade and The Grotto sponsored by Fayette County Children & Youth Services Advisory Board.
• Sept. 16, well-known jazz trombonist Harold Betters, a Connellsville native, and Rizz's sponsored by Fayette County ARC. The summer concert series is sponsored by the Uniontown Downtown Business District Authority and Uniontown's Main Street Program. Fayette County Buy Local Network is the presenting sponsor.
Channel 77 will air the prior's week concert at 9 p.m. Mondays and on FayetteTV.org.
Cindy Ekas is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Evening of fun and games helps to fund foundation
- Volunteer program circles around poverty problem in Connellsville
- For some, Dunbar Community Fest is a ‘homecoming’
- War display planned during Dunbar Fest
- Connellsville tech center names homecoming queen
- Frazier School Board chews over possibilities for Central Elementary
- Sheetz expansion project given OK by city zoning board
- Connellsville SPHS Behavioral Health facility closure raises concerns
- Classic car, bike show to be held at Connellsville tech center
- Connellsville council looks at burning ordinance
- Geibel Catholic in Connellsville again achieves national academic excellence