Body of missing rafter recovered in Youghiogheny River
A river tour guide spotted a body floating in the Youghiogheny River on Monday evening, springing rescuers into action to recover it, a park ranger said.
The body of Robert Vega, 22, of Lancaster was pulled out of the river at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County after 7 p.m. Rescuers had been searching for him since he went missing on Saturday.
“It was just a tragic accident,” Jim Juran, park ranger said.
Vega was on a commercial whitewater rafting trip when his raft flipped over Saturday afternoon below the falls. His personal flotation device slipped off, and he was last seen with his foot trapped on the river's bottom at Swimmers Rapids, Juran said.
Helping in the recovery effort were members of the park staff, state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, the Fayette County Coroner's Office, Ohiopyle-Stewart Volunteer Fire Company and river tour guides.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Uniontown programs get $900K
- Normalville church performs Christmas play
- No tax increase for Everson next year
- Connellsville man admitted drinking, fighting with victim before deadly 2013 crash, trooper testifies
- Fayette County judge refuses to dismiss dragging case against Hiller man
- Perryopolis police officer dies in Route 51 crash
- Connellsville burning rules set to kick in
- Fayette inmate represents self at hearing
- Fallen Perryopolis police officer chased his dream
- Connellsville Area High School Chamber Ensemble awaiting word on sing-off
- Connellsville Council approves parking plans for proposed hotel