Ohio motorcyclist killed in Fayette County wrong-way crash
An Ohio woman was killed in a wrong-way crash on Sunday in Fayette County, according to state police.
Joyce E. McKinney, 61, of Columbiana was declared dead at an unspecified area hospital as a result of the 12:20 p.m. accident in North Union, said state police at Uniontown.
McKinney and another motorcyclist from Columbiana, Robert McKinney, 75, were traveling north in the southbound lane of Route 51 at 1156 Pittsburgh Road when they encountered a southbound Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The sport utility vehicle's driver, James Hickle, 78, of West Leisenring, was unable to avoid a head-on collision with Joyce McKinney's 2014 Harley-Davidson motorcycle, police said.
Robert McKinney's 2014 Harley-Davidson then struck the wreckage, police said.
Robert McKinney was flown by medical helicopter to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, according to police. He was being treated in the emergency room as of Sunday evening, and his condition was unknown, according to a nursing supervisor.
Hickle had minor injuries. Police did not say if he sought medical treatment.
The road was closed for two hours as police investigated. Assisting at the scene were firefighters from West Leisenring, Smock and North Union.
Liz Zemba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville council told Highlands Hospital has prevention plan for Ebola
- Somerset Trust Train Station Complex in Connellsville to hold grand opening
- Burglars take $200 from Clark Elementary School
- Halloween fun fills Connellsville community center
- Statements to stand in Connellsville High School athlete’s slaying
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville
- Sheetz to expand in Bullskin
- Sewage plans for hotel, Sheetz OK’d by Connellsville council
- PennDOT schedules bridge meeting
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash