Ohio motorcyclist killed in Fayette County wrong-way crash
An Ohio woman was killed in a wrong-way crash on Sunday in Fayette County, according to state police.
Joyce E. McKinney, 61, of Columbiana was declared dead at an unspecified area hospital as a result of the 12:20 p.m. accident in North Union, said state police at Uniontown.
McKinney and another motorcyclist from Columbiana, Robert McKinney, 75, were traveling north in the southbound lane of Route 51 at 1156 Pittsburgh Road when they encountered a southbound Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The sport utility vehicle's driver, James Hickle, 78, of West Leisenring, was unable to avoid a head-on collision with Joyce McKinney's 2014 Harley-Davidson motorcycle, police said.
Robert McKinney's 2014 Harley-Davidson then struck the wreckage, police said.
Robert McKinney was flown by medical helicopter to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, according to police. He was being treated in the emergency room as of Sunday evening, and his condition was unknown, according to a nursing supervisor.
Hickle had minor injuries. Police did not say if he sought medical treatment.
The road was closed for two hours as police investigated. Assisting at the scene were firefighters from West Leisenring, Smock and North Union.
Liz Zemba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother of Fayette County killer wants to testify in closed courtroom
- Fayette Relay for Life moves to Uniontown church
- Fayette Children and Youth Services to expand offices
- Belle Vernon Eagle Scout project draws praise
- Dawson Grange Community Fair stands out by staying free to attend
- Connellsville diners can again ‘Savor the Avenue’
- Fayette County’s head detective named chief adult probation officer
- Woman accused of stabbing man at Fayette housing complex
- Woman threatened with knife at ATM in Uniontown
- Fayette County doctor expects to go to prison in prescription scheme
- Additional charges filed in Connellsville vandalism case