Connellsville tax collector: All residents must pay capita levy
There are Connellsville residents who are confused about the per capita tax and are ignoring the bills that have been sent out, according to city tax collector Judy Keller.
“People ignore the original per capita tax notice they receive each March from the city,” Keller said.
Apparently, they think since they are not “employed,” they are not subject to the tax and throw the bill away, she explained
“If you are over 18 and earning $5,000 per year from all income sources, you are subject to the tax,” Keller said.
Keller said city council turns the bills over to a collection agency — Berkheimer Associates — once residents are 18 months delinquent.
The new bill is $23.50 per person, per year.
She added that Connellsville only gets $11. Berkheimer receives the rest as their fee for doing the work of a collection agency.
“Berkheimer will be more aggressive (than the city),” Keller said. “I believe they can actually be taken to the magistrate if Berkheimer wants to pursue it.”
“Pay me (now) or pay me later,” Keller said, parroting the old commercial. “I've cautioned people that they should take care of these bills when they receive them.”
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gulf War veteran restores Uniontown mansion
- Vietnam vets from Fayette recall service — and those who didn’t make it home
- Washington County native to lead Farmington arts center
- Army unit reunites to honor fallen comrade in Uniontown
- Connellsville building owner uses graffiti to point out unsightly demolition debris
- Connellsville WWII veteran recalls close calls as a bomber navigator
- South Connellsville man has fond memories of service in Navy
- Keepsake ornament depicts Dunbar church history
- Vanderbilt council addresses abandoned homes, parking
- Brownsville Boy Scouts make sure vets are not forgotten
- Fayette County area communities plan Memorial Day events