Fayette man accused in kidnapping plot
A Fayette County man is accused in a kidnapping plot that ended when the victim escaped by causing a head-on collision between two pickup trucks, according to police.
Ronald Lee Smith, 37, is charged by state police at Uniontown with 42 criminal counts, including kidnapping, aggravated assault, aggravated assault by vehicle, false imprisonment, robbery, receiving stolen property and conspiracy.
In a criminal complaint, Trooper Nathaniel Lieberum said Garrett Moody, 24, was lured to the parking lot of Johnny's Part 2 bar in Georges on July 18 so Smith and at least four others could confront him over an alleged stolen purse.
Moody was struck with a “pipe-looking object,” according to the complaint, and then kicked and punched multiple times in the head.
Smith and the others forced Moody at gunpoint into a pickup driven by Harley Davis King, 37, police said.
Smith and King took Moody's cellphones and King displayed a small-caliber pistol, police said, as the three rode in the truck.
When Smith and King told Moody “they were taking him to the mountains to break his legs and kill him,” Moody “grabbed the wheel and crashed the truck to escape” on Seghi Road, according to the complaint.
The head-on crash sent Moody and the driver of the other pickup, Christine L. Roszac, 38, to Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, W. Va.
Roszac's son, 8-year-old Kaiser Roszac, was taken to Uniontown Hospital, according to the complaint.
Smith was treated at Uniontown Hospital. King was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital, police said.
Lieberum on Friday said Smith was in custody and awaiting arraignment. Lieberum said additional charges are pending.
Liz Zemba is a reporter for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville details its Memorial Day parade lineup
- Top 10 talent showcase set at Connellsville Area High School
- Man convicted in Redstone robbery plans to appeal sentence
- Good trail news for Connellsville
- Shake-a-thon to help 5-year-old from Connellsville
- Perryopolis, Perry Township veterans groups plan Memorial Day service at Frazier High School
- PennDOT project in North Union delayed a week
- Ornaments for sale to support Dunbar Community Fest
- Connellsville supervisors hear more garbage service complaints
- Outdoor program teaches Laurel Highlands students teamwork
- Weekly car cruises head back to Uniontown venue