6 alumni to join hall of fame
Six outstanding alumni will be inducted into the Laurel Highlands Hall of Fame in recognition of their lifetime achievements.
Superintendent Jesse Wallace said the alumni will be honored at a breakfast at 8:30 a.m. Saturday at the Uniontown Holiday Inn.
“We're hoping for a large crowd to attend the breakfast,” Wallace said. “We want community members to come out to support the special alumni who have made significant contributions in their lifetimes.”
At the breakfast, Wallace said stories about the specific achievements of the alumni will be released to those attending.
This will mark the second year for the special event, Wallace said.
The alumni being recognized are:
• The late Joseph Dinunno, a 1938 South Union Township graduate;
• Dr. Rosemary Duda, a 1973 graduate;
• Dr. George Garrow, a 1977 graduate;
• Dr. Mark Estper, a 1982 graduate;
• Douglas Matthews, a 1983 graduate;
• Dr. David Sheba, a 1990 graduate.
Wallace said nominations were solicited from the community. A committee established through the Laurel Highlands Academic Foundation selected those who would be recognized for their achievements. Jess Hutson, an employee at Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus, serves as the committee chairman. A nomination form is available on the school district's website.
“We hope to see a large crowd at the recognition ceremony,” Wallace said. “The people who are being recognized have made amazing contributions. They are the pride of the Laurel Highlands School District, and we want everyone to hear their stories.”
Cindy Ekas is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dunbar Twp. man held for trial in DUI fatality
- A fair, and fitting, tribute
- Connellsville man held for court in robbery of pizza delivery man
- Fayette fair queen, princess are crowned
- Uniontown law firm gives up row office appointment amid ethics questions
- Fayette County prothonotary’s bid to block access to abuse orders in dispute
- Warrant issued for Mich. man in Nemacolin scam
- Calvary United Methodist Church to hold 7th annual Gospel Sing
- Appeal filed in death of special needs child in Fayette
- Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend in back
- Fayette County Fair celebrates 60th anniversary