Uniontown day care worker charged with endangerment
Police in Fayette County have filed child endangerment charges against a day care worker who they said failed to seek medical treatment for an 11-month-old girl she dropped, breaking the girl's collarbone.
Raquel Viola Dues, 24, of Uniontown failed to notify her supervisor or the child's parents after the incident at 8:45 a.m. July 19 at ABC School House on North Gallatin Avenue, police said. Dues faces a preliminary hearing Sept. 24 before Uniontown District Judge Michael Metros.
Video surveillance of the incident shows the girl flipped backward from Dues' arms when the woman stood up from a seated position, police said.
“The impact causes the child to land and slide several feet from Dues,” police said in a criminal complaint.
When the child's father picked up the baby at 1 p.m., Dues told him the girl bumped her head while playing with a toy and showed him a “red area” on the side of the child's head.
The girl was fussy, but her parents did not realize her injuries were more severe until the following morning.
The child was taken to a Uniontown doctor, who diagnosed a broken collarbone.
A family member called police on July 21.
The day care center provided police with the video footage of the incident.
Liz Zemba is a reporter for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412- 601-2166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fayette County man injured in WV fireworks mishap
- Connellsville pavilion, horseshoes to preserve woman’s memory
- 2015 Connellsville grad identified as victim of Bullskin motorcycle crash
- Funeral planned for Connellsville teen who died in crash
- Post-war ‘welcome’ still stings Vietnam War veteran from Connellsville
- 87th St. Rita’s Festival scheduled in Connellsville
- Grief support given for loss of pets
- Uniontown set for free summer concert series
- Connellsville Redevelopment Authority receives $47K in grant funds
- Connellsville fireworks display back to riverbank
- Aaron’s building review planned