Uniontown schools OK equipment purchase for tech project
The Uniontown Area School Board agreed on Monday night to purchase refurbished computers, projectors and necessary cabling equipment for the technology project from the construction fund at an estimated cost of $100,000.
School board member William Ritternhouse said it was necessary for the district to buy the equipment because “the installation of our new computer system is going much slower than anticipated.”
“We assumed that a lot of our older computers would work with the new system,” Rittenhouse said. “But we now realize that a lot of our teachers and students don't have access to our new technology.”
Rittenhouse presented the board with three options.
“We can either include money in next year's budget for the computers, pay for the equipment over the next two or three years or buy all of the computers we need this year from money in our construction fund,” Rittenhouse said.
School board President Tom George asked business manager Brent Filak whether it would be possible for the district to pay for the computers from its construction fund or if $100,000 would need to be transferred to the general fund.
Filak assured board members that there would be no problem taking the money directly from the construction fund.
Solicitor Samuel J. Davis said it would not be necessary for the district to bid for the computer equipment because the bidding process was set up through the school district consortium.
In other business, the school board:
• Agreed to hold work sessions at 6 p.m., followed by regular school board meetings at 7 p.m., to allow school board members time to discuss various issues on the agenda. The next work session will begin at 6 p.m. Oct. 21, followed by the 7 p.m. meeting.
• Approved the employment of Victoria L. Kenes as a librarian assigned to A.J. McMullen, Marclay and Wharton schools, level one bachelor's, as per the negotiated agreement with the Uniontown Area Education Association, effective Sept. 6.
• Agreed to hire Joseph Carei as the assistant cross country coach at the high school, Paul R. Guthrie as the assistant girls' varsity soccer coach and Melodi E. Steiner as the assistant girls' volleyball coach, effective for the 2013-2014 school year. The salaries will be determined.
• Approved Joseph E. Burke as a volunteer coach for the varsity football team at the high school for the 2013-14 school year, pending the endorsement of head coach John Fortugna.
Cindy Ekas is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Albert Gallatin bus driver pleads guilty to sexual assault
- Longtime Connellsville area business closes its doors
- Fayette jail foes want county to be stricken as intervenor in case
- Security tightened at Fayette courthouse; Westmoreland says its procedures are sufficient
- Connellsville Health Board airs ordinance issues
- Fayette Friends of Animals volunteer uses talent to help get her shelter animals adopted
- Residents plan town-hall style meeting on Connellsville’s proposed abandoned building ordinance
- Bicycles soon to be welcome on Amtrak trains
- Sisters of St. Basil to host 80th pilgrimage to Uniontown
- Insurer asks judge to decide payment from fatal South Union accident
- Phony physician wanted in Fayette also sought in Nebraska