Carnegie library announces Card Sign-up Month
September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the majority of the Fayette County libraries join with the American Library Association and public libraries nationwide to make sure that our students have the most import school supply of all — a free library card. Here at the Carnegie Free Library, we are celebrating our one year anniversary of our new online catalog system and are happy to report that we have over 9,000 library cards registered. Patrons that have moved or changed personal information, please update your information in our system online, calling, or in person. For more information on how to sign up for a library card, visit www.carnegiefreelib.org or in person.
Falling into the last four months of the year, the library will host a number of free and low-cost activities, listed below and open to anyone in Fayette County and beyond with or without a card.
• Each Wednesday is fall preschool story hour at 11 a.m.
• Sept. 27, Parkinson Support Group meeting at 1:30 p.m.
• Sept. 28, Adult Book Club at noon; for more information, email BookClubJeanie@yahoo.com or call 724-640-3518.
• Sept. 28, FRIENDS of the Library Book Drop-off in the basement — items not accepted are encyclopedias, textbooks, any Reader's Digest or other magazines and no old or mildew books, please.
• Sept. 30 begins Bedtime Stories, sponsored by Pinky Toes of Connellsville, at 6 p.m.
• Oct. 1 begins yoga with Cathy Kumor at the library starting Tuesdays from 9 to 10:30 a.m., Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays, benefitting the FRIENDS of the Library, from 10:15 to 11:45 a.m.
• Oct. 9, Wacky Wednesday Teen Movie at 6 p.m.
• Oct. 12, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Wellness Retreat, the Power of Your Words, Kundalini Yoga, Energy Healing and Mindful Eating. Cost is $40 to preregister by Oct. 7; call Cathy Kumor at 724-626-1114 or email email@example.com.
• Oct. 16, PAKeys Workshop — Keystone starts orientation from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Oct. 19, Teen Costume and Scary Karaoke from noon to 3 p.m.
• Oct. 21, library is closed for staff training.
• Every Monday in October at 6 p.m., except for Oct. 21, Bedtime Stories will be presented. This is sponsored by Pinky Toes of Connellsville.
• Nov. 2, FRIENDS of the Library Book Sale.
• Nov. 6, from 3 to 7 p.m., the Cancer Prevention Research Study at the library; schedule an appointment by calling 888-604-5888 or visit www.southwestpacps3.org.
• Nov. 13, PAKeys Workshop — Color Me Healthy from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Nov. 16, Local Author Book Fair — come to purchase a personalized special holiday gift from several local authors.
• Dec. 7, FRIENDS of the Library Holiday Vendor Fair.
Come obtain or increase the usage of the smartest card in your wallet — your library card. Help save the free libraries in Fayette County. Like the library on Facebook, check out the websites and utilize its services and programs.
Casey Sirochman is the director/head librarian at Carnegie Free Library. She can be reached at 299 S. Pittsburgh St., Connellsville, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 724-628-1380.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Washington Township daughter savors turkey farm tradition
- Poachers blamed for wounding bear that killed pets in Connellsville Twp.
- Christmas Cheer Club back to aid needy Mon Valley kids
- Dunbar flood victims thankful for help
- Saturday event to draw shoppers to small Fayette businesses
- Forbes: Family is key for the holidays
- Man charged with impersonating doctor for free Nemacolin stay
- Sharing the Harvest to help Connellsville programs for needy
- Celebration of song welcomes season of giving in Connellsville
- Connellsville officers get bulletproof vests
- Connellsville’s Crawford Bridge to be renamed