State police identify Fayette man who died in crash
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Monday, Sept. 23, 2013, 5:15 p.m.
State police in Belle Vernon have identified a 25-year-old man who died in a one-vehicle accident in Fayette County Sunday.
Police said Andrew K. Vrabel of Connellsville died in the crash at 9:44 p.m. along Buena Vista Road in Franklin Township.
Police reported Vrabel was a passenger in a car driven by Shawna M. Courie, 33, of Vanderbilt.
Courie's 1999 Dodge Neon was driving north along Buena Vista Road, north of Reservoir Road, when she failed to negotiate a left curve on the roadway, struck a culvert and then a tree.
Courie's car burst in flames after the crash, according to police. Police said Vrable was unable to escape the vehicle.
Courie, who was taken to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh with serious injuries, was found by lying on the southbound lane of the roadway, police said.
Police said evidence indicates Courie was driving at an unsafe speed, but no charges have been filed. The investigation is continuing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Texas company offers investment in millions to upgrade Everson plant
- Lemont woman accused of stealing purses, using credit cards
- Connellsville Community Yard Sale set May 3; enrollment deadline is April 28
- West Leisenring band’s EP release party to benefit firefighters
- Geibel alumnus Sammy Brooks to perform jazz during tuition fundraiser on Saturday
- Election board rejects ballot referendum on Fayette County prison issues
- Planning underway for Connellsville Christmas event
- Recording studio joins Connellsville community center’s growing artist enclave
- Closure of West Side News shocks previous owners
- Connellsville ministry group’s focus is on a hand up more than a hand out
- Small-business opportunities exist in the Fay-West