Fayette County police chase reached speeds of 130 mph
A Fayette County man is accused of leading police on a high-speed motorcycle chase that reached speeds of 130 mph.
Samuel Craig Jones, 42, of 244 Hawkins Hollow, Springfield Township, is charged by state police at Uniontown with fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, driving under the influence, resisting arrest, reckless endangerment, reckless driving, speeding and other traffic offenses.
In a criminal complaint, Trooper Jon Bershok said he tried to stop Jones at Route 40 and Bennington Road at 5 p.m. Friday for not displaying a registration plate on his motorcycle. Jones made a U-turn at the traffic light and headed west on Route 40.
Bershok said Jones fled at speeds up to 130 mph, passed other motorists, and drove onto the median and berm of the road. The motorcycle made another U-turn in the median at the base of Summit Mountain and headed east again, Bershok said in the complaint.
Jones stopped when one of the bike's tires went flat after traveling through the median, Bershok said. Jones ran, but he was apprehended by five troopers, according to the complaint.
Jones was arraigned before South Union District Judge Joseph George Jr. and is in the Fayette County Prison without bond. A preliminary hearing is tentatively scheduled for 9 a.m. Oct. 2 before North Union District Judge Wendy Dennis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police look for suspect in attempted child-luring incident in North Union
- Frazier’s $22M school construction project moving on schedule
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash
- Fayette to open central district court
- Connellsville council told Highlands Hospital has prevention plan for Ebola
- Connellsville preps for nighttime treating
- ‘Trunk or Treat’ events designed to keep everyone safe
- Ambrosini won’t give up on new prison for Fayette County
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail