Arrest made in 2011 Connellsville murder case
An arrest has been made in the 2011 slaying of a Connellsville man.
Robert Leroy Daniels Jr., 42, of 233B E. Apple St., Connellsville, was arraigned on Thursday afternoon by District Judge Ronald Haggerty Jr. in connection with the death of David Gida, 56.
Daniels is charged with criminal homicide, robbery, theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property.
Gida was found by his son on June 8, 2011, in his apartment at 304 Rear South Pittsburgh Street in Connellsville.
Police said Gida had been stabbed in the neck several times.
After a search of the apartment and surrounding area, police could not locate the murder weapon.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, police said items had been removed from Gida's body, specifically a gold necklace and a silver ring. Other items had been removed from his apartment.
The case remained unsolved until Thursday morning when Sgt. Ryan Reese of the Connellsville Police Department and Trooper John Marshall of the state police at Uniontown gained information that implicated Daniels to the homicide.
“I'm really glad how this thing developed,” said James Capitos, Connellsville police chief.
Capitos said Daniels was questioned at the Connellsville Police Station where he admitted he was at Gida's apartment on the night of June 7 and the early morning hours of June 8.
According to the affidavit, after drinking alcohol and taking several pills, Daniels picked up a knife from the kitchen table and stabbed Gida twice in the neck.
During Daniels' arraignment Thursday, police said Daniels stole the necklace and the silver ring and also stole $50 and a baseball worth approximately $300.
Under questioning from Haggerty, Daniels said he had a history of mental illness. He said he's addicted to drugs, including cocaine, crack, pills and marijuana.
A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Daniels at 11 a.m. Oct. 10 before Haggerty.
Daniels was denied bail and was lodged in the Fayette County Prison.
Capitos said the investigation is ongoing, but he could not give any further details.
Mark Hofmann is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-626-3539 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Measles warning issued to Connellsville
- 3 donors to match, help ministries reach campaign goal
- South Connellsville mayor charged with transferring gun without council permission
- Twin pizza shop owners in Connellsville rise to The Challenge
- Big future seen for former Fayette grocery warehouse
- Connellsville business owner’s loss of pet prompts fund for animal respirators
- Ticket sales set for Connellsville Area High School annual musical
- South Connellsville Mayor Casini arraigned in gun case
- Fayette County relies on Westmoreland response team for pet rescues
- Report on cause of Uniontown train derailment not due for weeks
- Demolitions worry Connellsville health board