Train hits vehicle in Lower Tyrone
A Dawson man was not injured when his vehicle was struck by a train in Lower Tyrone Township late Friday night.
Police said Cullen J. Hribal, 39, escaped injury in the 10:55 p.m. accident.
According to police, Hribal drove around railroad crossing gates that were activated on River Road at School Road. Police said he drove off the edge of the roadway and the vehicle became stuck in the railroad crossing.
An approaching train struck the vehicle and pushed it down the tracks approximately 50 feet.
Hribal was charged with failing to obey a signal indicating an approaching train.
Fatal crash in Hempfield
In Westmoreland County, Ronald J. Ferretti, 66, of Jeannette, a retired Hempfield Area High School teacher, died of injuries suffered in a crash Friday night that involved a Mt. Pleasant man.
Police said a vehicle driven by the 36-year-old Mt. Pleasant man failed to stop at a stop sign on Forbes Trail Road in Hempfield, entered the intersection with Route 119 and collided with a vehicle driven by Ferretti.
Ferretti was taken to Forbes Regional Hospital, where he later died.
A passenger in the Mt. Pleasant man's vehicle was flown via medical helicopter to UPMC Presbyterian for treatment of injuries. A second passenger was taken to Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital.
The accident occurred at 10:45 p.m. Friday.
Police did not release the names of the Mt. Pleasant man driving the sport utility vehicle or the passengers in the vehicle. The accident is under investigation.
On Saturday morning, New Haven Hose Company was called to a structure fire on North Fourth Street. No injuries were reported.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pedestrian struck on East Crawford Avenue in Connellsville
- Masontown police car vandalized
- Connellsville Canteen to host lecture on American home front during WWII
- Former member takes reins of chorus
- Korean exhibit to go on display
- Uniontown Chorale Society to perform at Dawson church
- Springfield Twp. family thankful despite blaze
- Connellsville gears up for big Christmas celebration
- Fayette County Courthouse setting for ‘Magic and Mistletoe’
- Dinner-show to kick off holiday season at Albert Gallatin
- Quiz Bowl at Penn State Fayette gets students’ competitive juices flowing