Train hits vehicle in Lower Tyrone
A Dawson man was not injured when his vehicle was struck by a train in Lower Tyrone Township late Friday night.
Police said Cullen J. Hribal, 39, escaped injury in the 10:55 p.m. accident.
According to police, Hribal drove around railroad crossing gates that were activated on River Road at School Road. Police said he drove off the edge of the roadway and the vehicle became stuck in the railroad crossing.
An approaching train struck the vehicle and pushed it down the tracks approximately 50 feet.
Hribal was charged with failing to obey a signal indicating an approaching train.
Fatal crash in Hempfield
In Westmoreland County, Ronald J. Ferretti, 66, of Jeannette, a retired Hempfield Area High School teacher, died of injuries suffered in a crash Friday night that involved a Mt. Pleasant man.
Police said a vehicle driven by the 36-year-old Mt. Pleasant man failed to stop at a stop sign on Forbes Trail Road in Hempfield, entered the intersection with Route 119 and collided with a vehicle driven by Ferretti.
Ferretti was taken to Forbes Regional Hospital, where he later died.
A passenger in the Mt. Pleasant man's vehicle was flown via medical helicopter to UPMC Presbyterian for treatment of injuries. A second passenger was taken to Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital.
The accident occurred at 10:45 p.m. Friday.
Police did not release the names of the Mt. Pleasant man driving the sport utility vehicle or the passengers in the vehicle. The accident is under investigation.
On Saturday morning, New Haven Hose Company was called to a structure fire on North Fourth Street. No injuries were reported.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rep. Stefano’s 6th coffee conversation centers on budget impasse, taxes
- Connellsville Chamber to honor Falcon Foundation, which helps district students, at Gatsby gala Oct. 24
- Ten Commandments monument in Connellsville moves to church property next to senior high
- Bullskin Township/Connellsville Township authority seeks contractor for sewer line
- Road issues broached in Springfield Township
- Connellsville church’s coffeehouse events in 5th season
- Mt. Zion Community Church to hold revival meeting
- Central Fellowship Church in Connellsville welcomes Anderson as pastor
- Students learn team building at Fluid Power Challenge at Penn State Fayette
- Connellsville boy enjoys VFD visit; 3-year-old asks for fireman’s coat, hat
- Connellsville Zombie Prom organizers plan ‘a night to dismember’