Connellsville Area High School student dies in shooting
A 17-year-old Connellsville Area High School student died Thursday after being shot in a house in Uniontown.
The victim, who city police declined to identify, was shot in the back of the head and found lying on the floor of a house at 39 Murray Avenue. He was transported to Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, W.Va., where he was pronounced dead Thursday night.
The suspect in the shooting, Hasani Simpkins , 20, of Uniontown, formerly of Philadelphia, was in police custody.
City police Lt. Tom Kolencik said he was to be arraigned on a charge of criminal homicide before District Judge Randy Abraham of Masontown, the duty magistrate.
“This is a sensitive case as you can imagine,” Kolencik told reporters.
According to police, Simpkins said he was playing with a .22-caliber revolver when the victim was shot, and that the two were not arguing.
Simpkins, police said, described the house as a “hangout.”
“There were tons of people in the home,” Kolencik said.
Simpkins, according to police, said he was in the process of moving from the house after living there for several months.
Late Thursday night a man who identified himself as the victim's grandfather and legal guardian, arrived at the police station to speak with police.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- St. Rita of Cascia Roman Catholic Church marks centennial in Connellsville
- Geibel seniors land lead roles
- Carnegie Free Library plans Big Book Sale
- Western Pa. nonprofits roll dice on casino company grants
- Fayette County motorist accused of firing shots when good Samaritans stop at crash scene
- Rabies clinic for dogs, cats set for Saturday in Uniontown
- ‘Phantom’ breezes into Laurel Highlands High School
- Creepy, kooky cast bringing ‘The Addams Family’ to Connellsville Area stage
- New Horizon 4-H member says showmanship, bonding key to showing lambs
- Suspect in Uniontown woman’s homicide surrenders to police, claims innocence
- Connellsville robbery suspect has bail modified