Southmoreland ninth-grader struck while boarding bus
A ninth-grade student at Southmoreland High School suffered a leg injury when he was struck by a car while boarding his bus Friday morning.
State police said Jacob Zook was in front of his Mt. Pleasant Road home at 7 a.m., waiting to board the bus, which had its lights activated, police said.
A southbound 2012 Ford Expedition driven by Rhonda Gretz-Ward, 47, of Mt. Pleasant failed to stop and struck Zook as he stepped onto the road, police said.
Zook was taken to Excela Health Frick Hospital, Mt. Pleasant, then flown to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, police said.He was listed in fair condition Friday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Southmoreland Superintendent John Molnar and Principal Don Krofcheck visited Zook at the hospital.
“We visited with him and his family, and he has a pretty significant leg injury. He was conscious, alert and pretty worked up because he probably isn't going to be able to make baseball season. He was sitting up on the gurney. Overall, he was in pretty darn good shape,” Molnar said.
Vehicle violation charges are pending against Gretz-Ward, police said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Robber threatens employee at Subway in Uniontown Mall
- Community Field Day fundraiser planned at East Park in Connellsville
- ‘Trigger clause’ in ordinance unnecessary, says Connellsville’s health board
- Connellsville’s Mozart Music Club to celebrate 95th anniversary
- Final ‘Wednesdays at West Overton’ to feature Bullskin woman
- Connellsville area’s weather into December could be mixed bag
- Dawson native Leonard finishes season with Braves’ AAA affiliate
- Connellsville tech center names homecoming queen
- Sheetz expansion project given OK by city zoning board
- Connellsville Legion needs young veterans
- War display planned during Dunbar Fest