'Dancing with Pink Ribbon' to visit Connellsville
By Nancy Henry
Published: Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Cornerstone Care's “Dancing with a Pink Ribbon” project is coming to Connellsville.
The event will be held at the Carnegie Free Library from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Dec. 7, providing the public with free clinical breast exams and mammogram referrals for women and men.
“Men have a 1 percent chance of getting breast cancer, but it can happen,” said Sheila Shea, outreach specialist for health services at Cornerstone Care in Uniontown. “The goal of this program is to educate women and men about their breast health, providing them with educational information about early detection and prevention of breast cancer. We want to make people aware of the importance of early detection and prevention.”
The “Dancing with a Pink Ribbon” project is focused in Fayette and Greene counties. The target population for this is women age 40 and older who have not had a clinical breast exam by a professional or have not received a mammogram.
“We are taking our medical mobile unit into communities and performing these clinical breast exams and giving scripts for mammograms,” Shea said.
The objectives of “Dancing with a Pink Ribbon” include overcoming barriers to save lives and increasing the number of women and men who receive clinical breast exams. The goal is to perform 25 mammograms monthly at community-based events and educate 50 men and women monthly on early detection and prevention.
“We specifically scheduled ‘Dancing with a Pink Ribbon' for Saturday, knowing that it will be a day when many people will be coming to the library for ‘It's A Connellsville Christmas' happenings,” library director Casey Sirochman said. “I hope that many of those who plan to be here will also schedule an appointment and set time aside to take advantage of this very important program.”
Exams are conducted in total privacy. If interested in receiving a free clinical breast exam and obtaining a referral for a mammogram, please call Shea to schedule an appointment for the event at the library. Appointments are not required, but recommended. They will also try to accommodate any walk-ins. Insurance is not necessary.
“Dancing with a Pink Ribbon” is made possible with funds raised by the National Football League's “Crucial Catch” foundation and support of the American Cancer Society East Central Division.
For more information about “Dancing with a Pink Ribbon,” or to schedule your appointment, contact Shea at 724-439-1628 ext. 401 or e-mail email@example.com.
Nancy Henry is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UFO, Bigfoot encounters to be discussed at Connellsville library program
- ‘Going downtown’ with dad, mom in ’50s among Connellsville antive’s treasured memories
- Resurfacing part of Route 119 on list of PennDOT projects in Connellsville area
- Champion church offers new sound effects for annual remembrance of Crucifixion
- Fayette group pushes court to schedule referendum hearing
- Juveniles waive charges to Fayette court in Connellsville Township assault/robbery
- Mt. Pleasant man charged in 2 Connellsville robberies
- Police seek German Township assailant
- Falcon band performs at Disney World
- Connellsville area benefits from tourism grant program
- Connellsville police hitting the streets on foot and bikes