Share This Page

Charleroi resident sentenced for assault

| Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

A Washington County man who was convicted of indecent assault will serve a sentence of one to two years in prison.

Jonathan McDonough, 39, of Charleroi was sentenced Tuesday by Senior Judge Gerald R. Solomon.

In September, a jury found McDonough guilty of indecent assault and harassment in connection with an Aug. 29, 2012, assault in which his accuser said she repeatedly told him she did not want to have sex.

The Tribune-Review does not identify victims of sexual assault.

McDonough originally was charged with rape, aggravated assault, corruption of minors, endangering the welfare of children, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and sexual assault.

Belle Vernon District Judge Jesse Cramer dismissed those charges during a preliminary hearing in October.

In a statement before the sentencing, the victim acknowledged she had been in a relationship with McDonough and that she waited two days to report the encounter out of fear.

“I was scared of leaving,” the woman said. “He always made me feel very scared of him.”

The woman said she fell into depression after the assault and that left her incapable of properly caring for her child, who was then 6 months old.

“I felt ashamed and degraded as a woman,” she said. “My parenting skills diminished.”

The woman said she is “on the long road to recovery and am happier about myself.”

“I am learning to forget him, but I can never forget,” she said.

McDonough apologized, saying he did not intend to harm anyone.

In addition to the prison sentence, Solomon ordered McDonough to register annually with law enforcement for the next 15 years and to have no contact with the victim.

Liz Zemba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or lzemba@tribweb.com.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.