Charleroi resident sentenced for assault
A Washington County man who was convicted of indecent assault will serve a sentence of one to two years in prison.
Jonathan McDonough, 39, of Charleroi was sentenced Tuesday by Senior Judge Gerald R. Solomon.
In September, a jury found McDonough guilty of indecent assault and harassment in connection with an Aug. 29, 2012, assault in which his accuser said she repeatedly told him she did not want to have sex.
The Tribune-Review does not identify victims of sexual assault.
McDonough originally was charged with rape, aggravated assault, corruption of minors, endangering the welfare of children, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and sexual assault.
Belle Vernon District Judge Jesse Cramer dismissed those charges during a preliminary hearing in October.
In a statement before the sentencing, the victim acknowledged she had been in a relationship with McDonough and that she waited two days to report the encounter out of fear.
“I was scared of leaving,” the woman said. “He always made me feel very scared of him.”
The woman said she fell into depression after the assault and that left her incapable of properly caring for her child, who was then 6 months old.
“I felt ashamed and degraded as a woman,” she said. “My parenting skills diminished.”
The woman said she is “on the long road to recovery and am happier about myself.”
“I am learning to forget him, but I can never forget,” she said.
McDonough apologized, saying he did not intend to harm anyone.
In addition to the prison sentence, Solomon ordered McDonough to register annually with law enforcement for the next 15 years and to have no contact with the victim.
Liz Zemba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Old bricks get new purpose, Connellsville gets paved street
- Wrongful death lawsuit filed against Connellsville man in 2013 accident
- Insurer asks judge to decide payment from fatal South Union accident
- Fayette communities come together on forming land bank
- Charges added against Uniontown man in case involving dog shooting
- Squirrel causes power outage on South Side Connellsville
- Off-road driver gets prison in death of West Newton woman
- Everson OKs recreational burning ordinance
- ‘Hairspray’ coming to State Theatre in Uniontown
- Fayette municipalities will meet on land bank idea
- Volunteer firefighters hard to find in Mt. Pleasant, Scottdale