Music students to 'jam' at the Porter in Connellsville
Saturday offers an opportunity for area residents to enjoy an afternoon of music presented by the students and instructors of Atkins Music Center.
Winter Jam 2013 will be held from noon to 3 p.m. in the Porter Theater. There is no admission fee.
“This summer we held a performance like this for the first time at Lions Square in downtown Connellsville, which is right near the store. The turnout was terrific, and everyone had a good time. We want to give the students the chance to be on a real stage in the much-acclaimed Porter Theater,“ said Denise Friel, owner of Atkins Music Center.
Twenty-five students will perform various selections from Christmas tunes to rock 'n' roll favorites. Instruments played will include guitar, violin, banjo, ukulele, congo drums, even a didgeridoo.
“There will also be some really great vocals,” said Friel.
Those in the audience will get to enjoy solos, duets, trios and entire bands. Duets will include a father and daughter as well as a grandfather and granddaughter.
The sound will be operated by Ben Millward.
The teachers at Atkins Music Center are Dave Quairiere, guitar, banjo, ukulele; Stephen Gallo, guitar; Sandy Millward, violin, voice; and Gene McFadden, guitar. These instructors offer private lessons daily at the center.
“The students have been preparing and are looking forward to Winter Jam 2013. This is a chance for them to showcase their talents,” said McFadden.
“We invite everyone to come join us to enjoy an afternoon of great music, a wonderful way to relax after the holiday rush,” said Friel.
Light refreshments, snacks and drinks will be sold in the concession area.
The Connellsville Area Community Center is at 201 E. Fairview Ave.. For more information on the event or to inquire about lessons, call Atkins Music Center at 724-628-2450.
Nancy Henry is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Old bricks get new purpose, Connellsville gets paved street
- Wrongful death lawsuit filed against Connellsville man in 2013 accident
- Insurer asks judge to decide payment from fatal South Union accident
- Fayette communities come together on forming land bank
- Charges added against Uniontown man in case involving dog shooting
- Squirrel causes power outage on South Side Connellsville
- Everson OKs recreational burning ordinance
- Fayette municipalities will meet on land bank idea
- ‘Hairspray’ coming to State Theatre in Uniontown
- Off-road driver gets prison in death of West Newton woman
- Connellsville Redevelopment Authority director touts revitalization