Chamber accepting nominations for awards
The Greater Connellsville Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for the annual awards presented to members of our community. Categories include Community Service Group, Community Service Individual, Beautification, Distinguished Citizen and the Athena. The deadline for nominating is soon, so contact the chamber office for the form and get it back there as soon as possible. The phone number is 724-628-5500.
• This information arrived from Cathy Kumor. “A new yoga class is starting at the Carnegie Free Library of Connellsville, Yoga 101. Have you always wanted to try yoga, but didn't want to attend a class with experienced participants? Do you think you will not be able to do the postures? Then this class is for you. CFL will be offering a six-week yoga session for the person who is new to yoga or would like the opportunity to experience it from the basic core of practice. The goal of Yoga 101 is to provide a welcome class that will leave the body strong, the mind still, the emotions steady and the heart open and joyful.” The classes will be held on Wednesday mornings from 10:30-11:30 a.m. beginning Feb. 19. Cost is $50 for all six sessions. Pre-registration is required. Please contact Kumor at email@example.com or 724-626-1114 to register.
• Jan. 16 from 5-8 p.m. is Connellsville Area High School McBand Night at Connellsville McDonald's. Your purchase can help the fundraising efforts for the Disney trip.
Other CAHS band events include:
• March 1, 3-7 p.m., a spaghetti dinner at the Pleasant Valley Masonic Center. Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for children 10 and under. The meal includes spaghetti, meatballs, salad, bread, dessert and a beverage. There will be vendors at the dinner.
• March 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. a buffet lunch at Texas Roadhouse. Tickets are $10 and include one trip through the buffet for pulled pork, mashed potatoes, salad, dressing, rolls, water, tea or coffee. The band will receive $7 profit for each ticket sold.
• March 22, 6-10 p.m. is a cash bash at The Fiddler's Hall at the Fayette County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 5 p.m. and tickets are $10 each, which includes dinner and adult beverages. No one under 21 is permitted.
• Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa Weekend Getaway tickets are still available. Tickets are $5 and the winner receives a three day, two night stay at the Chateau Lafayette, $600 resort credits and $500 cash. Resort credits cannot be used to gamble at the casino. Winning number is based on the 7 p.m. drawing of the Daily Number.
For tickets to these events, please call Jessica Schomer at 724-812-2524.
• Highlands Hospital Club will hold a Rock ‘n Roll Oldies Dance on Jan. 25 from 8-11 p.m. at Connellsville Elks. Tickets are $15 per person, available by calling Cheryl at 724-628-2917 or Donna at 724-626-1028.
• Connellsville Area Catholic School is having a Valentine's Day Dinner Dance and Benefit on Feb. 14 at Murphy Hall, doors open at 6 p.m.; dinner is at 7 p.m. and entertainment begins at 8 p.m. The evening's entertainment will be the Sammy Brooks Band. The event will feature a buffet dinner, live entertainment, cash bar and raffles. Tickets are $30 per person. For tickets, call the school at 724-628-5090.
• The Connellsville Presbyterian Church will hold an Indoor Yard Sale, Feb. 1. Everyone is welcome to participate. Tables are $10 each and you can reserve as many as you need by calling the church office by Jan. 27. Phone is 724-628-4401.
• Highlands Hospital Diabetes Center will be offering the Group Lifestyle Balance Program soon. This evidence-based lifestyle change and weight loss program is targeted to those at risk for diabetes or those diagnosed with pre-diabetes. The diabetes educators, Bridgette Lowry and Heidi McClain at the center are GLB trained and are approved lifestyle coaches from the University of Pittsburgh. For more information, call the Diabetes Center at 724-628-8008.
• Connellsville B&B brunches are Jan. 19, 26 and Feb 9, 16. Advance tickets are required.
• Connellsville Area Community Ministries is now open every Saturday 9 a.m.- 1 p.m.
Mark your calendars for these dates: Jan. 16, McBand night at McDonalds; Jan. 25, Highlands Hospital Club Oldies Dance at the Elks; Feb. 1, Indoor Yard Sale at Presbyterian Church; Feb. 14, Connellsville Area Catholic Valentine Dinner and Dance at Murphy Hall; March 6-9, CAHS presents “Shrek”; March 14-16, Geibel presents “42nd Street”; April 4-6, Connellsville Junior High presents “Peter Pan Jr.”
If you have a local event that you would like mentioned in this column, email it well in advance so I can include it at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nancy Henry is a Connellsville area resident.