Input sought on expansion of North Union gas compressor station
A public meeting has been scheduled for Monday evening to discuss the proposed expansion of a natural gas compressor station in North Union.
The meeting will be held at the East End United Community Center, 150 Coolspring St., Uniontown, beginning at 7 p.m. and lasting until 8:30 or 9 p.m., according to its organizers.
Kathryn Hilton, an organizer for the Mountain Watershed Association, said the meeting is being held to inform residents and take comments to pass on to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection about the expansion.
The Fayette Marcellus Watch will also participate.
According to Hilton, the expansion will sharply increase air pollution in a three-mile radius around the station.
Hilton said Texas Eastern had a malfunction at a similar station in Berks County, Pa. She said that malfunction put out more pollution in a day than normally gets put out in a year. She said that would endanger the elderly and those who have health problems.
The meeting is free and open to the public. The group will also assist residents with submitting comments, which will be accepted until Feb. 3.
Hilton and a woman who experienced the Berks County malfunction are expected to be on WMBS 590 Radio from 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. today.
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- 58-acre site for proposed Fayette County jail back on market
- $1.2M flowing to Connellsville through partnership program
- ‘Bank at the Train Station’ to hold grand opening Saturday
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash
- Bedford woman’s works on display at Fayette law library
- Connellsville honors the late Ralph Wombacker
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- New consignment store specializes in dance, formal wear
- Entertaining weekend set at Connellsville Canteen