Frigid temps, snow in Fay-West forecast for next several days
Cold and snow will continue through the weekend and into next week in the Fay-West region, according to the National Weather Service in Moon Township.
“Basically, the snow will start just before daybreak (this morning) with an accumulation of less than an inch,” meteorologist Rodney Smith said. “Three to five inches will fall (on Saturday) with highs in the mid 20s.”
Smith said wind chills will fall to the single digits, with wind from the southwest at 15 to 25 mph and gusts as strong as to 30 mph. The snow will continue into the night with blowing snow. Temperatures will fall into the single digits with wind chills of minus 15 to minus 20 degrees.
On Sunday, expect snow showers in the afternoon with a high in the mid 20s. Snow showers are likely that night, with a low of about 14. On Monday, snow showers are likely with a high temperature of about 20 in the morning that will fall through the afternoon.
The temperature is expected to fall to minus 10 on Tuesday morning, with the high that day rising to just 2 degrees.
“That's basically my forecast for the rest of the week,” Smith said.
On Friday, people were spotted again on the ice along the banks of the Youghiogheny River across from City Hall. Officials warned of the dangers, notifying residents that it would be nearly impossible to rescue anyone who falls into the icy water.
Attempts to contact Advanced Disposal about possible garbage collection delays were unsuccessful. A recording on the company's telephone system said delays were possible because of the weather, and that service would be resumed as soon as conditions allow.
Antoinette Tesauro, Connellsville city clerk, said the hauler is responsible to notify customers and the city of delays. She said no notification had been received on Friday.
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ice Miners pitch in to aid area’s needy
- Bridge over Youghiogheny River coming into downtown Connellsville is renamed
- ‘Boo-boo bus’ stuffed for kids
- Fayette County history could fetch big bucks at Ohio auction
- Porterfield: Hunters’ breakfast buffet planned at Mill Run Grille
- Connellsville officers get bulletproof vests
- Connellsville Canteen features Woodruff tribute
- Salvation Army kicks off annual kettle campaign
- Washington Township woman savors family’s turkey farm tradition
- Sharing the Harvest to help Connellsville programs for needy
- Connellsville zoning board approves variances