Frigid temps, snow in Fay-West forecast for next several days
Cold and snow will continue through the weekend and into next week in the Fay-West region, according to the National Weather Service in Moon Township.
“Basically, the snow will start just before daybreak (this morning) with an accumulation of less than an inch,” meteorologist Rodney Smith said. “Three to five inches will fall (on Saturday) with highs in the mid 20s.”
Smith said wind chills will fall to the single digits, with wind from the southwest at 15 to 25 mph and gusts as strong as to 30 mph. The snow will continue into the night with blowing snow. Temperatures will fall into the single digits with wind chills of minus 15 to minus 20 degrees.
On Sunday, expect snow showers in the afternoon with a high in the mid 20s. Snow showers are likely that night, with a low of about 14. On Monday, snow showers are likely with a high temperature of about 20 in the morning that will fall through the afternoon.
The temperature is expected to fall to minus 10 on Tuesday morning, with the high that day rising to just 2 degrees.
“That's basically my forecast for the rest of the week,” Smith said.
On Friday, people were spotted again on the ice along the banks of the Youghiogheny River across from City Hall. Officials warned of the dangers, notifying residents that it would be nearly impossible to rescue anyone who falls into the icy water.
Attempts to contact Advanced Disposal about possible garbage collection delays were unsuccessful. A recording on the company's telephone system said delays were possible because of the weather, and that service would be resumed as soon as conditions allow.
Antoinette Tesauro, Connellsville city clerk, said the hauler is responsible to notify customers and the city of delays. She said no notification had been received on Friday.
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- National veterans charity to receive funds raised in Connellsville pageant
- Connellsville-region grads to converge for Golden Reunion
- Lynn: Crazy Cowboy Band to perform at Dawson Brownfield center
- Connellsville gets spring scouring
- Henry: Job and education fair slated for Wednesday in Connellsville
- Fire at North Union industrial building ruled accidental
- Champion Christian School students to present biblical-based musical
- FRIENDS of Carnegie Free Library of Connellsville seeks members
- Park, library upgrades on agenda for Connellsville Redevelopment Authority
- Energy firm fights Fayette County zoning ruling