2014 International Car Show a valentine to auto aficionados
Chalk it up to dumb luck or brilliant marketing strategy, but the Greater Pittsburgh Automobile Dealers Association seemed to know what they were doing when they pinned the 2014 International Car Show ahead of Valentine's Day weekend.
“I'm looking around to see what I can buy for her,” joked Randy Hillier as he made the rounds with his wife, Heather.
Gifting ideas aside, on Feb. 13, a crush of 800 were expected to file into the David L. Lawrence Convention Center for the Red CARpet Preview Gala. Almost immediately, it was the people-watching that seemed to garner the most attention. “You could literally stand here all night and watch this,” said Nancy Angus, Mario Lemieux Foundation executive director. Others couldn't help but comment on the fleeting hemlines floating by.
Trending fashion topics aside, chairs Mario andNathalie Lemieux ushered in the VIPs while accepting a check for $100,000 on behalf of Austin's Playroom Project, an initiative of the Mario Lemieux Foundation. Named after their son, who was born prematurely and spent 71 days in the NICU, the Playroom Project creates cheery and creative play spaces that allow hospital kids — whether visitors or patients — to be kids again.
Meanwhile, as a coterie of household names in the auto biz — including Bud Smail, Rob Cochran, Corina Diehl, Debbie Flaherty and GPAD Foundation prez Tom Rohrich — circulated, most of the room was busy eyeing up potential additions to the family.
“She loves cars, especially sports cars,” said Susie Shipley as Michele Fabrizi honed in on a Mustang Shelby GT 500. “She probably knows more about cars than most of the men here.”
Among the crowd were GPADA CEO John Putzier, MLF prez Tom Grealish, Dr.David andKathleen Amati, Dennis andAnnie Baglier, Leah Micholas, Charlie andLatasha Batch, Jay and Alicia Caufield, Bud Green, Pierre Larouche, Bob andLisa Pompeani, and Sally Wiggin.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Day-old baby dropped at Uniontown hospital by nurse
- Motorcyclist dies in accident in Bullskin
- Connellsville board hikes taxes, adds to layoffs
- Trooper: Cell may have played part in fatal Fayette County crash
- Uniontown man takes plea deal in assault, Connellsville robberies
- Fayette County Fair won’t be disrupted by Route 119 project
- Uniontown man pleads guilty to raping 2 young girls
- Fayette County man deemed sexually violent predator
- Masontown woman charged with leaving infant in hot vehicle
- Brooklyn man’s cross-state taxi ride leads straight to jail in Uniontown
- Connellsville Area Career and Technical Center students to attend post-secondary schools