Woman charged with theft, 'huffing'
A McClellandtown woman was arrested Monday when she allegedly stole two cans of canned air and attempted to get high in a Wal-Mart store.
Brittney Lynn Kalakewich, 27, was charged with retail theft, criminal trespass and illegal use of solvents, state police said.
In an affidavit of probable cause filed with Senior District Judge Brenda Cavalcante, Trooper Richard Sizer said he went to the Wal-Mart in South Union to assist a loss-prevention officer with a shoplifter.
The officer told Sizer that he saw Kalakewich walk into the store, grab two cans of Ultra Duster Canned Air and conceal them. She went to the men's department and inhaled some air, the officer said, then walked past the registers without paying for the $9.92 worth of items.
During a search, a can of Ultra Duster was found concealed in Kalakewich's waistband., Sizer said
Ultra Duster is used to clean electronic devices. A bitterant additive, which makes the contents unpleasant to inhale, is included in the formula to discourage potential abuse, according to its website.
Kalakewich remained in the Fayette County Prison on Tuesday on $5,000 bond. She has a preliminary hearing Feb. 26 before Senior District Judge Robert Breakiron.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Fayette County chop shop operation nets jail time, payment of restitution
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- FEMA to review Fayette’s flood plains
- Lynn: DL&V fire department selling tickets for Sportsmen’s Bash
- Police hunt for North Union shooter
- Upper Tyrone supervisor hopes to mitigate trash dumping problem