Woman charged with theft, 'huffing'
A McClellandtown woman was arrested Monday when she allegedly stole two cans of canned air and attempted to get high in a Wal-Mart store.
Brittney Lynn Kalakewich, 27, was charged with retail theft, criminal trespass and illegal use of solvents, state police said.
In an affidavit of probable cause filed with Senior District Judge Brenda Cavalcante, Trooper Richard Sizer said he went to the Wal-Mart in South Union to assist a loss-prevention officer with a shoplifter.
The officer told Sizer that he saw Kalakewich walk into the store, grab two cans of Ultra Duster Canned Air and conceal them. She went to the men's department and inhaled some air, the officer said, then walked past the registers without paying for the $9.92 worth of items.
During a search, a can of Ultra Duster was found concealed in Kalakewich's waistband., Sizer said
Ultra Duster is used to clean electronic devices. A bitterant additive, which makes the contents unpleasant to inhale, is included in the formula to discourage potential abuse, according to its website.
Kalakewich remained in the Fayette County Prison on Tuesday on $5,000 bond. She has a preliminary hearing Feb. 26 before Senior District Judge Robert Breakiron.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dunbar woman, toddler in critical condition after high-speed crash
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Connellsville honors the late Ralph Wombacker
- Lower Tyrone fall cleanup scheduled for Thursday
- New consignment store specializes in dance, formal wear
- Connellsville council expected to set budget meetings
- Bedford woman’s works on display at Fayette law library
- House of Steel opens inside The Ice Mine in Dunbar Township
- Plans to renovate Fayette lockup advance
- Former driver’s license examiner in Fayette avoids jail for accepting bribes from refugees
- Connellsville’s ‘Mr. Trombone’ loves his life in small hometown