Dawson VFC to hold meeting on Monday
The regular monthly meeting of the Dawson Volunteer Fire Co. will be held at 7 p.m. Monday in the fire station. All members are urged to attend. Please remember that 2014 dues are due.
• Wednesday is the first day of Lent, the season where we commemorate the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Many area churches will be holding “Ash Wednesday” services. Please plan on attending the church of your choice.
• Mark your calendars. Daylight Savings Time begins at 2 a.m. Sunday. It is time to “Spring Forward.” Remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour before retiring for the night Saturday or first thing in the morning Sunday.
• Dawson VFC will hold a bingo bash at 1 p.m. Sunday. There will be 15 games at $100 each, three specials at $150 each and a jackpot of $1,200. Admission is $30 and includes two, six-face packages. Free food and refreshments will be served to ticket holders. There will only be 125 tickets sold and admits one person only. Early birds will begin at 1 p.m. and is sold separately. Regular bingo will immediately follow. If you have any questions, 724-415-6102. All proceeds will benefit the Dawson VFC.
• Bullskin Township Volunteer Fire Department's Ladies Auxiliary will hold a fish fry from 4 to 7 p.m. every Friday, with the exception of Good Friday, during the Lenten season at the fire station, 260 Keefer Road, Connellsville. On the menu is baked fish, fried fish, chicken strip dinner or a chicken strip sandwich. Haluski and other side dishes are also available. You can dine-in or take-out. Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children age 4 to 11 and children age 3 and younger eat free. Call 724-887-0566 for information or take-out orders.
• Dawson Borough Council will hold its regular monthly meeting at 6 p.m. March 10; all concerned Dawson residents are welcome to attend.
• The next meeting of the Tri-Town Community Crime Watch will be held at 7 p.m. March 17. All concerned area residents are welcome to attend. Light refreshments will be served after the meeting.
• Mark your calendars. The following is a list of distribution dates for area food banks for the month of March:
- East Liberty Presbyterian Church of Vanderbilt from 10 a.m. until noon March 13.
- Produce for the People at the Fayette County Fairgrounds from 10 a.m. until noon March 13. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m.
- Leisenring Presbyterian Church from 8:30 until 10:30 a.m. March 19.
Please remember to bring a container to carry your items home in. As always, volunteers and donations are always appreciated.
• The Dawson VFC is currently selling tickets for its annual “Spring Fishing Bash” to be held from 2 to 6 p.m. April 6. Tickets are $20 each and you can get one from a number of Dawson volunteer firefighters or by stopping at any of their fundraising events. Food and beverage is included with the price of your ticket. A drawing will be held every 15 minutes for a number of great prizes or cash.
If you have an item for this column, give me a call at 724-529-7927 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop me a line at 276 Banning Road, Dawson, PA 15428 by 6 p.m. Tuesday so I may prepare my column for the following week.
Stay warm and have a great week. God bless one and all.
Beth Lynn is a Lower Tyrone Township resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Connellsville man admitted drinking, fighting with victim before deadly 2013 crash, trooper testifies
- Connellsville burning rules set to kick in
- Inaugural food, toy drive slated for Connellsville
- Everson volunteer firefighters set to sell hoagies
- Connellsville Area High School Chamber Ensemble awaiting word on sing-off
- Fayette County judge refuses to dismiss dragging case against Hiller man
- Students contribute talents to Connellsville parks
- Fallen Perryopolis police officer chased his dream
- Fayette inmate represents self at hearing
- Betters is recognized at Connellsville Canteen
- Connellsville Council approves parking plans for proposed hotel