Dawson VFC to hold meeting on Monday
The regular monthly meeting of the Dawson Volunteer Fire Co. will be held at 7 p.m. Monday in the fire station. All members are urged to attend. Please remember that 2014 dues are due.
• Wednesday is the first day of Lent, the season where we commemorate the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Many area churches will be holding “Ash Wednesday” services. Please plan on attending the church of your choice.
• Mark your calendars. Daylight Savings Time begins at 2 a.m. Sunday. It is time to “Spring Forward.” Remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour before retiring for the night Saturday or first thing in the morning Sunday.
• Dawson VFC will hold a bingo bash at 1 p.m. Sunday. There will be 15 games at $100 each, three specials at $150 each and a jackpot of $1,200. Admission is $30 and includes two, six-face packages. Free food and refreshments will be served to ticket holders. There will only be 125 tickets sold and admits one person only. Early birds will begin at 1 p.m. and is sold separately. Regular bingo will immediately follow. If you have any questions, 724-415-6102. All proceeds will benefit the Dawson VFC.
• Bullskin Township Volunteer Fire Department's Ladies Auxiliary will hold a fish fry from 4 to 7 p.m. every Friday, with the exception of Good Friday, during the Lenten season at the fire station, 260 Keefer Road, Connellsville. On the menu is baked fish, fried fish, chicken strip dinner or a chicken strip sandwich. Haluski and other side dishes are also available. You can dine-in or take-out. Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children age 4 to 11 and children age 3 and younger eat free. Call 724-887-0566 for information or take-out orders.
• Dawson Borough Council will hold its regular monthly meeting at 6 p.m. March 10; all concerned Dawson residents are welcome to attend.
• The next meeting of the Tri-Town Community Crime Watch will be held at 7 p.m. March 17. All concerned area residents are welcome to attend. Light refreshments will be served after the meeting.
• Mark your calendars. The following is a list of distribution dates for area food banks for the month of March:
- East Liberty Presbyterian Church of Vanderbilt from 10 a.m. until noon March 13.
- Produce for the People at the Fayette County Fairgrounds from 10 a.m. until noon March 13. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m.
- Leisenring Presbyterian Church from 8:30 until 10:30 a.m. March 19.
Please remember to bring a container to carry your items home in. As always, volunteers and donations are always appreciated.
• The Dawson VFC is currently selling tickets for its annual “Spring Fishing Bash” to be held from 2 to 6 p.m. April 6. Tickets are $20 each and you can get one from a number of Dawson volunteer firefighters or by stopping at any of their fundraising events. Food and beverage is included with the price of your ticket. A drawing will be held every 15 minutes for a number of great prizes or cash.
If you have an item for this column, give me a call at 724-529-7927 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop me a line at 276 Banning Road, Dawson, PA 15428 by 6 p.m. Tuesday so I may prepare my column for the following week.
Stay warm and have a great week. God bless one and all.
Beth Lynn is a Lower Tyrone Township resident.