Trinity church raising money for clothes giveaway
Volunteers at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Connellsville work throughout the year to gather clothes for school children in the area.
But in order for the project to be a success, the volunteers must raise money to purchase the new clothing.
On Saturday, the church will host a chicken-and-biscuit dinner noon to 6 p.m. Proceeds will be used to purchase new clothing for the project.
The clothing will be distributed in the late summer, just in time for the big first day of school.
“We've been doing this now for a few years,” said Donna Welsh, dinner committee member. But the chicken-and-biscuit dinner is a relatively new fundraiser.
Church volunteers will begin preparations for the dinner on Friday. They will cook the chicken and then start early Saturday morning preparing the homemade biscuits and side dishes that go with the meal.
“We have a lot of volunteers who help with this meal,” Welsh said. “They work in shifts. We are also going to use the confirmation class to help, so we'll have the youth involved.”
The meal will be served at the church's social hall. It includes homemade chicken and biscuits, side dishes, dessert and coffee.
Proceeds from the meal will be used to purchase clothing for children in grades kindergarten through 12th grade.
This will be the fourth year for the clothing giveaway.
“The first year, we didn't have hardly anyone. Then the following year, they came in spurts,” Welsh said. “Last year, we ran out of everything. In a half-hour, it was all gone. We felt so bad for all the people who came that didn't get anything.”
Welsh said the group shops all year to purchase the clothing, taking advantages of coupon offers and store sales.
This year, the clothing distribution will be handled in a different manner to regulate it better.
Volunteers are preparing more than 200 chicken-and-biscuit meals. Last year, Welsh said, 225 were sold.
Dinners can be enjoyed at the church or as takeout.
“We hope to see the continued support of the community for this,” Welsh said. “This dinner was something different, and we have had a good response, so we hope to see that again this year.”
The meals will be $7 for adults and $3.50 for children who are 10 and younger. For takeout, call 724-628-7920.
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church is at 126 E. Fairview Ave.
Marilyn Forbes is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frazier’s $22M school construction project moving on schedule
- Connellsville preps for nighttime treating
- Masontown councilman charged with harassment
- Harlem Wizards will take to the court against Connellsville All Stars
- ‘Trunk or Treat’ events designed to keep everyone safe
- Police look for suspect in attempted child-luring incident in North Union
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Uniontown woman sentenced for jail escape
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville