Hearing in Connellsville Twp. home invasion continued
The preliminary hearing for two Connellsville juveniles charged in the home invasion and assault of a 79-year-old man has been continued.
Terry Lee Nicholson III, 17, of 513 Vine St., and Duston Edward Wiggins, 16, of 108 W. Cedar St., were charged as adults following the Feb. 14 attack on Connellsville Township resident Caesar Gaspari.
The hearing had been scheduled for Thursday before District Judge Ronald Haggerty Jr.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, Nicholson, Wiggins and a 14-year-old boy rang the doorbell at Gaspari's residence. When Gaspari opened the door, the 14-year-old pushed him out of the doorway, pointed a black pistol at him and then struck him twice in the head and the face with the pistol when Gaspari resisted.
Nicholson and Wiggins proceeded into the living room, where Lisa Gaspari was standing, and pointed black pistols at her, police said,. The two demanded money as the 14-year-old hit Caesar Gaspari, who later was treated for his various injuries.
Lisa Gaspari led Nicholson and Wiggins to a bedroom, where she gave them a safe containing $600, documents and an unknown amount of change.
The trio then fled. They were apprehended by police, who followed their tracks in the snow to Wiggins' residence, where his parents allowed a search. Police said they found the safe and $490.
Fayette County District Attorney Jack Heneks stated earlier that, pursuant to the Juvenile Act, the juvenile charges will remain against the 14-year-old pending further discussions among the Juvenile Probation Office, the District Attorney's Office and state police at Uniontown.
A new date for Nicholson's and Wiggins' preliminary hearing has not yet been set. Both are free on $30,000 bond.
Mark Hofmann is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-626-3539.