'Shrek' set to open at Connellsville Area High School
The 2014 Connellsville Area High School musical “Shrek” opens Thursday and continues with performances through Sunday. The students and staff have worked hard to get this production together and have had to overcome many weather challenges, Tickets are available at the door. When you see it once you, might want to go back another time. It will be a fun show for adults and children, and it's important that we all support the efforts of those who dedicate so many hours and so much energy to this show and upcoming Geibel and junior high musicals
• The CAHS Band has these events coming up. Friday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. is a buffet lunch at Texas Roadhouse. Tickets are $10 and includes one trip through the buffet for pulled pork, mashed potatoes, salad, dressing, rolls, water, tea or coffee. The band will receive $7 profit for each ticket sold. On March 22 from 6 to 10 p.m. is a cash bash at The Fiddler's Hall at the Fayette County Fairgrounds. Doors open at 5 p.m. and tickets are $10 each which and includes dinner and adult beverages. No one under 21 is permitted. Call Jessica Schomer at 724-812-2524 for tickets.
• Doors open at 10 a.m. for the Friends of Carnegie Library Big Spring Book Sale Saturday. Don't miss this chance to choose some new-to-you selections and visit with neighbors over a cup of coffee.
• Animal SnipPets, Inc. will hold a fundraising Calendar Party April 13 from 2 to 5 p.m. at DL&V Firehall. Doors open at 1 p.m. There will be a Chinese auction and a 50/50. Your $15 donation includes a catered meal of fried chicken, red skin potatoes, green beans, meatballs, penne with red sauce, tossed salad, roll. iced tea, lemonade, coffee. Appetizers and dessert will be provided by your table hostess. Your admission ticket also gives you the chance to win the door prize of $500 cash. The organizers say that if any businesses, organizations or individuals would like to donate items for the Chinese auction, they are tax deductible and appreciated. Call Kellie at 412-691-2164 or Nancy at 724-366-4455 if you would like to donate or buy a ticket.
• The Connellsville Area Garden Club will sponsor the annual Geranium Festival on May 24, downtown, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Members are planning special activities for the 10th anniversary. There will be a Princess Contest and Pet Parade. The Wally Gingers Orchestra will play at 2 p.m. The new Connellsville Canteen and Clark Train Display are expected to be open for an added attraction. Anyone interested in having a booth should contact any member of the garden club or call 724-626-1445.
• The Rotary Club of Connellsville will hold an elimination dinner at Murphy Hall on March 29. There will be a delicious dinner and more than $7,000 in cash prizes. One of the evening's prizes is a 50-inch TV donated by Craig Appliance. Tickets are available by calling Bill Fiesta at 724-628-1234. If you would like to play in the Rotary Club Golf Outing on May 16 contact Max House. Proceeds go to local scholarship awards.
• Connellsville Area Community Ministries is open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday and will offer a different bargain table each Saturday with deeply discounted prices. The sale items will be on display in the main entrance hallway. Here's the schedule: Saturday, dresses; March 15, purses; March 22, men's shirts; March 29, coats; April 5, winter clearance.
• Entry forms are available now for the annual Yough River Trail Council spring run and walk. It will be held April 19 on the bike trail and the forms are online at youghrivertrail.com.
• Sign up now for New Haven Hose Company sponsored Neon Nights 5k being held on May 10 starting at 8 p.m. Lots of fun activities are planned, Entry forms are available at newhavenhose.com or by calling 724-317-4643.
• The Fundraising Committee of St. John the Evangelist RC Church is taking orders for a Pre-Order Slovak Food Sale on March 29. Featured Items will include cabbage rolls, $2.50 each (halupki); cabbage and noodles, $2 per order (haluski); and pierogies, $8 per dozen. (Please note that pierogies will only be sold frozen.) Buyers can provide their own containers. To place an order, call Patty, 724-628-5967; Clara, 724-628-9633; or Liz, 724-628-7259.
Food can be picked up and paid for in the church social hall (908 W. Crawford Ave.) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 29.
• The Connellsville Area Falcon Foundation established the Connellsville Area School District Hall of Fame in 2010 for the purpose of recognizing outstanding individuals who have been affiliated with the District. This Hall of Fame recognition may result from achievement in many areas of life including public service, military service, careers, the arts, music, athletics, education, etc. Another purpose of this Hall of Fame is to celebrate the talent, work ethic, and spirit of the people of our school district, and thus promote a greater sense of school and community pride within the Connellsville Area. The Falcon Foundation is now accepting nominations for the Class of 2014. Nomination forms can be picked up at any Connellsville Area School or can be downloaded from the Connellsville Area School District Website (casdfalcons.org).
• Connellsville Crime Watch is sponsoring a trip on June 21 to Washington. The bus will depart Connellsville at 6:30 a.m. and return to Connellsville about 9 p.m. The bus will let the group off at Washington's Crime Museum. After a self-guided tour of the museum, about two hours, you are on your own to tour other sites such as the National Mall, which includes all the monuments and the Smithsonian Institution. Price is $75 per person. Reservations are limited to 56 seats. Included is the round-trip transportation and tickets to the Crime Museum. Please note that this trip does require a lot of walking. Money raised will benefit Connellsville Crime Watch initiatives. If interested, please make reservations through ArtWorks Connellsville at 724-320-6392 or send a check in care of the Fayette County Cultural Trust, 139 W. Crawford Ave., Connellsville, PA 15245. Please include your name, phone number, address and that the check is for the day trip to D.C.
• Raecyne Bechtold, owner of Bring It Fitness sent this. “I'm always looking for additional licensed/certified instructors in any of the zumba specialties and especially additional yoga instructors.” She can be contacted at www.bringit-fitness.com or on the Bring It Fitness facebook page. The phone number is 724-580-8348.
• Mark your calendars for these dates: Thursday through Sunday, CAHS presents “Shrek The Musical;” Friday, CAHS Band Buffet Lunch at Texas Roadhouse; Saturday, FRIENDS of CFL Big Book Sale; March 14-16, Geibel presents “‘42nd Street;” March 15, FRIENDS Vintage Fashion Show at CFL; March 22, CAHS Band Cash Bash at Fiddler's Hall at Fayette Fairgrounds; March 29, Connellsville Rotary Elimination Dinner at Murphy Hall; April 4-6, Connellsville Junior High presents “Peter Pan Jr.;” April 12, Connellsville Clean-Up Day; April 13, Animal SnipPets Calendar Party at DL&V Firehall; April 19, YRTC Spring Run/Walk; May 10, Train Day and Neon Nights 5K; May 16, Rotary Golf Outing; May 24, Geranium Festival.
Nancy Henry is a Connellsville area resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville
- Sewage plans for hotel, Sheetz OK’d by Connellsville council
- Sheetz to expand in Bullskin
- Springfield students collect hygiene items
- Statements to stand in Connellsville High School athlete’s slaying
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail
- PennDOT schedules bridge meeting
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- ‘Bank at the Train Station’ to hold grand opening Saturday
- Connellsville’s Carnegie Free Library to turn into ‘Scary Library’ on Saturday
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash